You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-05 00:51:41

synorgy
Website

DBus Multimedia keys and Gnome / KDE-les environments

Hello all -
I've recently been having some trouble with mpd that I cannot seem to figure out (Google was unhelpful.) So I've started the move to Quod Libet. One thing that I'm having serious trouble with is global multimedia keys. I currently have xbindkeys set up to call the appropriate actions on keypress. However, this causes about a one second delay between button press and reaction. I know this is negligable, but it's driving me crazy so I figured I move to the dbus keys that Quod Libet listens to by default (and by default - I mean with a plugin.)

I'm finding it difficult to locate information on how to make certain keys emit certain dbus signals. In the wiki, it mentions that HAL should be the current way of doing this but the HAL page only seems to cover creating keymaps. Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't seem to be what I need. (I'm figuring this based on the fact that the bottom of the last page states that when finished with the tutorial you can use the Gnome key setting thing to specify what you want these configured keys to do.)

Basically, I want to find a way to emit dbus signals on key presses (PLAYPAUSE when I hit the play / pause key on my keyboard, for instance). This should allow Quod Libet to receive these keypresses (and hopefully react faster that that 1 second delay)

Thanks for your time, guys.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#2 2008-07-25 20:47:02

hotsauce

Re: DBus Multimedia keys and Gnome / KDE-les environments

Any resolution on your issue?

Thanks!

#3 2008-07-25 22:17:27

Gullible Jones

Re: DBus Multimedia keys and Gnome / KDE-les environments

For HAL to do this stuff, the X server needs to be compiled with support for it... I'll let someone else explain why Arch's X server isn't, it's kind of over my head.

Board footer