You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-25 23:43:45

kristersaurus

Whats required to mount a root volume?

Hey guys...quick (or maybe not so quick) question.

I've got a new arch install where I've configured grub to find the kernel and initrd correctly, but it hits a brick wall when it tries to mount the root filesystem. This is baffling to me. I have tried specifying the root fs by both uuid and /dev/sda* syntax, and am fairly certain they are being specified and typed correctly. If nothing else because I know when the kernel tries to mount my arch partition - it panics and hangs. If i just mis-type it or specify the swap partition or something, it says it cant be found and drops me to a prompt that says ramfs.

My arch partition is ext3. I've also tried mounting ext2 with no luck. However, when I, just for kicks, give it the name of my ubuntu partition (also ext3), it mounts that and boots up just fine.

So what else could I be missing that is keeping arch from mounting my fs? I really thought it was a problem with ext3 support, but mounting my other ext3 partition shot that down.

If necessary, I can go check on the exact details of the kernel panic. For now, I'm kind of just looking for an academic discussion on what is necessary for the kernel to mount a root filesystem.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by kristersaurus (2008-07-26 01:44:11)

#2 2008-07-26 04:03:48

kristersaurus

Re: Whats required to mount a root volume?

if you were wondering, the boot process gets to the point where it says something to the effect of root volume mounted as read-only, then the next line states that /dev/sda3 file not found, then kernel panic.

Board footer