You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-25 14:54:17

Cotton

[Req]Soundcard recommendation

Can someone recommend a good (cheap) soundcard with hardware mixing, or a website comparison.  I'm aware of the Soundblaster Audigy 4, but its old and there are not many around on ebay.
I've got a P5K3 motherboard with an onboard Intel HDA chipset, but as soon as an audio application (eg xmms) uses the sound channel, jackd refuses to start for use with another audio app (zynaddsubfx), saying that the channel is in use.  I've tried all the jack options (oss, alsa, hw0, hw1 etc) to no avail.

#2 2008-07-25 18:04:36

btartsa

Re: [Req]Soundcard recommendation

I may be off the mark here but if the alsa driver is dedicated to xmms jackd will never start regardless of what card you have. Start jackd from a terminal and you should see "failed to create alsa driver, hw0 in use". Try changing xmms to use jack driver. Soundcard wise I likw my maudio delta1010 but it's a little much unless you are multitrack recording (;

#3 2008-07-26 13:28:58

Cotton

Re: [Req]Soundcard recommendation

Excellent, thanks for that clarification btartsa.  Installing the jack plugin for xmms worked just as you predicted in conjunction with other audio streams - no need to buy a new card smile

Board footer