You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-21 04:17:08

handy

[SOLVED] [I have no name!@archetype ~]$

Could someone explain to me how to give uid=1000 back its name?

whoami: cannot find user name for user ID 1000

I'm not sure whether to attempt it using useradd, usermod or whether I can edit my way out of trouble?  Though under these circumstances I am not logging out until my user has regained its name!

All help greatly appreciated... :-)

Last edited by handy (2008-10-17 06:22:14)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-07-21 04:34:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [SOLVED] [I have no name!@archetype ~]$

Do you have any idea what caused this?  Did you change /etc/passwd, in particular permissions?

#3 2008-07-21 04:55:50

handy

I'll try not to give you an overdose of background info' here: ;-)

This is my test machine, which has multiple drive draws; due to my main machine which runs Leopard & primarily Arch, being away for a warranty job (noisy optical drive), I am booting from my initial (test) Arch installation, which always complained on booting into Gnome about the user account.  I am sorry I can't tell you what it said, as I have been totally unconcerned about the problem up until today, when I did a huge -Syu appox' 500Mb download & went through the install log, cleaning up as advised, in an effort to improve the installation as it is now temporarily my main machine.

After which I thought I would change the permissions on my /home in an attempt to remove the error message mentioned above.  I set /home/handy to 0755, which seems reasonable to me?  (Though as you may be gathering, I don't really know what I'm doing! )

I also get the following error, I just discovered:

sudo: uid 1000 does not exist in the passwd file!

Which hopefuly makes this one a little easier to solve?

Here is a copy of the passwd file if it helps:

root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/false
daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/false
mail:x:8:12:mail:/var/spool/mail:/bin/false
ftp:x:14:11:ftp:/srv/ftp:/bin/false
http:x:33:33:http:/srv/http:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:99:nobody:/:/bin/false

Last edited by handy (2008-07-21 04:59:29)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#4 2008-07-21 05:00:31

Allan
Pacman
Website

It seems to me that you have merged /etc/passwd.pacnew incorrectly,  perhaps by just copying the pacnew file over the old one...

Anyway, add this line to it:
handy:x:1000:1000::/home/handy:/bin/bash

Also, you probably want your home directory permissions to be 700 so only you can access it.

#5 2008-07-21 05:46:09

handy

Thanks Allan, you sorted me out quickly! big_smile

I won't log out until tomorrow, when I've finished a project, then I will test how this machine reboots, hopefully without the error message.

If the error message still exists I will post it so I can learn what is behind that one too.

Thanks again.

P.S.

On the topic of merging files incorrectly:  I cd to the directory & then use the mv command to change the name of for example ***.conf.pacnew to ***.conf, which from my interpretation of the man page should overwrite the file & not actually merge them at all.

Is there a correct way to do this that I am unaware of?  I used mv on a lot of files earlier today, after my big update which may or may not be cause for concern?

Last edited by handy (2008-07-21 06:09:57)

I'm over it!

#6 2008-07-26 06:47:45

handy

It took a few days for my project to be finished, so when I could finally reboot I found that  I had removed the 2 error messages that always occurred as Gnome was loading, but I have lost access to the internet amongst other problems, which I suspect have been caused by my method of merging the new config.pacnew files. 

Not having my no. 1. machine available due to it being away for warranty repair left me without access to the web (which I find incredibly useful if not completely necessary at times like these), so I built a Sabayon 3.4f system on a spare drive which I will use until my other machine is back from warranty, after which I will sort out this troublesome Arch install that lives on machine no. 2.

I'm over it!

#7 2008-07-26 06:53:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

Hmmm, I didn't see your edit to your post two above.

You definitely should NOT use mv to merge files.  Merge, means merge.  Take the changes you made in your *.conf file and put it in you *.conf.pacnew.  Then you can mv the pacnew file.

You have lost your network setup in your /etc/rc.conf and all the daemons you added.  Fix that and you should get a reasonable working system.

#8 2008-07-26 15:04:19

handy

Thanks Allan, I expect that your reply will remain very valuable to me for a long time to come, making my relationship with Arch a great deal smoother than it would have been.

I'll have a look at the Arch installation tomorrow & follow your advice.

I'm over it!

#9 2008-07-26 17:17:51

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Try

vimdiff file.conf file.conf.pacnew

See Vim wiki article for more.

#10 2008-07-27 12:07:54

handy

Misfit138 wrote:

Try

vimdiff file.conf file.conf.pacnew

See Vim wiki article for more.

Thanks so much for your post Misfit138.

I'm over it!

#11 2013-10-19 20:25:56

Think

pacdiff command search paths are: /boot /etc /usr
Try to find overridden files and correct them.

In my cases: all changed files renamed with suffix -(dash)

It may help someone as me.

#12 2013-10-19 20:57:12

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't necrobump: especially solved threads. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer