You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-28 09:58:38

floke

Arch seriously hosed - can't even log in!!!!

For some reason my Arch box seems completely hosed.
I was using it last night, don't recall any updates, but this morning I can't even log in.
Sometimes the login screen comes up, sometimes half of it, sometimes none of it - and then a complete hang requiring a hard reset. I've taken gdm off the daemons after accessing the partition through my Debian install, and have tried fallback kernel - but same thing here too, just hangs as I try to log in - can't even switch to tty. I managed to log in once for a few seconds, and tried to su but got the message 'can not fork user shell. resource temporarily unavailable'.

Help!!!!!

** EDIT: The Google tells me (not much, actually) that some people have had the error message when out of memory, and that it could be a rogue process - I've disabled most things in my daemons and am now back in - will turn them back on gradually to see what's going on **

** EDIT II: Back working - seems like preload was the demon daemon **

Last edited by floke (2008-07-28 12:21:28)

#2 2008-07-28 12:19:39

jerek

Re: Arch seriously hosed - can't even log in!!!!

that seems to be caused by the latest preload update. remove it from your daemons-list or downgrade to 0.4.
see also http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52305.

cheers

#3 2008-07-28 12:22:33

floke

Re: Arch seriously hosed - can't even log in!!!!

Cheers Jerek - I added my second edit before seeing your post - but you're dead right!

Board footer