You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-29 16:37:36

Grimn

KDE 4.1 - customisation and installing widgets not working properly

Hey, so I decided to try KDE 4.1. So far looks good altough I have some graphic glitches due to the nvidia drivers (but those should be fixed soon, I hope).

Still I can't help but to feel a tad disapointed at the lack of customisation of the panels.
I mean, sure there are widgets but can't he put some applications on the panels (eg. Konsole) so we don't have to use the KMenu everytime? I might be doing something wrong here so if anyone knows how please let me know.

I was also disapointed at finding that the taskbar is only one row, it makes things messy for me, but then I found out there's a widget that allows more than one row. Thing is, when I tried to install throu the 'install new widgets'->'download from internet' it appeared as installed but then doesn't show up in the widgets menu. Is this a bug?

Thanks in advance. smile

edit: Is there also a way to add a side panel instead of bottom/top only?

Last edited by Grimn (2008-07-29 16:40:15)

#2 2008-07-29 16:50:34

yentz

Re: KDE 4.1 - customisation and installing widgets not working properly

Grimn wrote:

I mean, sure there are widgets but can't he put some applications on the panels (eg. Konsole) so we don't have to use the KMenu everytime? I might be doing something wrong here so if anyone knows how please let me know.

You can right-click on an application in the application-menu and then choose to add it to the panel.

Thing is, when I tried to install throu the 'install new widgets'->'download from internet' it appeared as installed but then doesn't show up in the widgets menu. Is this a bug?

The same here.

#3 2008-07-29 17:26:12

staple

you have to go to kde-look and install the widgets yourself. they need to be compiled

#4 2008-07-29 17:54:11

Grimn

Thanks yentz, too bad it only works with the new KMenu though smile

Thanks for the tip staple but still that fails sometimes since some widgets are meant for the KDE svn version (gives compile errors otherwise) :\

I guess we'll have to wait for a fix. smile

Board footer