You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-29 04:20:25

jackrat

I don't want KDE 4 ....

I don't want KDE 4 .... yet ..... I've read that it's too buggy, so is there a command, along with

pacman -Syu

that will prevent KDE from upgrading at the same time? Thanks smile

P.S. I would appreciate it if someone could give me a link to all of the Arch-specific commands too. Thanks smile

#2 2008-07-29 05:00:29

dolby

Re: I don't want KDE 4 ....

man pacman.conf

hint: IgnoreGroup

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-07-29 07:35:50

Denacke

Stolen from the announcement thread:

Bogart wrote:
firewalker wrote:

What packages should be put in pacman's ignore list?

These are the ones I needed to put. Depending on what you have installed, it may differ a bit:

IgnoreGroup = kde
IgnorePkg   = archlinux-themes-kdm
IgnorePkg   = kde-common
IgnorePkg   = kmplayer
IgnorePkg   = ktorrent
IgnorePkg   = kdelibs3
IgnorePkg   = amarok-engine-xine
IgnorePkg   = amarok-base
IgnorePkg   = gtk-qt-engine
IgnorePkg   = k3b
IgnorePkg   = kaffeine
IgnorePkg   = krename
IgnorePkg   = ksensors
IgnorePkg   = qtcurve-kde3
IgnorePkg   = kdebindings

#4 2008-07-29 08:25:27

b0uncyfr0

Youre mistaken..KDE 4.1 is ready for the desktop. Maybe not for you. Instead of listening to others about KDE4 , get a livecd and run it in Virtualbox for yourself...

#5 2008-07-29 10:29:30

slux
Website

this is mine: hmm

IgnoreGroup = kde
IgnorePkg   = archlinux-themes-kdm
IgnorePkg   = kde-common
IgnorePkg   = kmplayer
IgnorePkg   = ktorrent
IgnorePkg   = kdelibs3
IgnorePkg   = amarok-engine-xine
IgnorePkg   = amarok-base
IgnorePkg   = gtk-qt-engine
IgnorePkg   = k3b
IgnorePkg   = kaffeine
IgnorePkg   = krename
IgnorePkg   = ksensors
IgnorePkg   = qtcurve-kde3
IgnorePkg   = kdebindings
IgnorePkg   = kdevelop
IgnorePkg   = kile
IgnorePkg   = kmess
IgnorePkg   = konversation
IgnorePkg   = krusader
IgnorePkg   = libkdcraw
IgnorePkg   = digikam
IgnorePkg   = kipi-plugins
IgnorePkg   = kshutdown
IgnorePkg   = libkexiv2
IgnorePkg   = libkipi
IgnorePkg   = yakuake

www.tremulous.it

Cogito, ergo Arch big_smile

#6 2008-07-30 02:59:08

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

b0uncyfr0 wrote:

Youre mistaken..KDE 4.1 is ready for the desktop. Maybe not for you. Instead of listening to others about KDE4 , get a livecd and run it in Virtualbox for yourself...

KDE 4.1's panel made me bleed from the ears.   I don't know who thought implementing it like that was a good idea... but I'd like to introduce their man parts to a golf club.

Res Publica Non Dominetur

Laptop:  Arch x86 | Thinkpad X220 | Core i5 2410-M | 8 GB DDR3 | Sandy Bridge
Desktop:  Arch x86_64 | Custom | Core i7 920 | 6 GB DDR3 | GeForce 260 GTX

#7 2008-07-30 05:49:10

staple

georgia_tech_swagger wrote:
b0uncyfr0 wrote:

KDE 4.1's panel made me bleed from the ears.   I don't know who thought implementing it like that was a good idea... but I'd like to introduce their man parts to a golf club.

care to explain? it's the same size as the 3.5 one and frankly looks a lot better

btw i go to gatech as well

#8 2008-07-30 05:57:57

INCSlayer
Website

what he means is that the way you configure it is fu**ed up atleast thats what i think he means and i agree with him

dovie andi se tovya sagain

#9 2008-07-30 06:27:15

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

Configuring the size of the panel is *not* intuitive.   The width can be figured out with alot of playing around, but the modification of scale is not at all obvious or intuitive.

Wanna change your clock to 12 hour mode?   Right click on it?   No.   Right click on the panel?   No.    Panel edit mode?   No.    Control Panel and then Date & Time?   No.    Control Panel and then Region Settings?   Yes???  WTF?!

Want to use the installer to add a widget?   It's broken, so give up on that.

Want to add an application icon to the panel?    Try installing quicklauncher widget?   Installer is broken, that's hopeless.   Using the classic menu?  That's impossible.   Using kickoff?   Go to the thing you want and then right click on it and select add to panel.   

Want to adjust spacing?    Well forget simply dragging things around, Sally!  That's too obvious!   You have to go into edit mode, and THEN you can move them around.   But it doesn't give you any hints that you can do it that way ... you just stumble upon it if you happen to hover over something and it then gives you the arrows.

The KDE 4.1 Panel is, quite simply, the most incredibly massive piece of epic fail I have EVER EXPERIENCED from KDE.

Last edited by georgia_tech_swagger (2008-07-30 06:30:33)

#10 2008-07-30 06:28:58

jackrat

b0uncyfr0 wrote:

Thanks anyway, I just had a bar of soap ...... wink From what I've read, I'll have to go along with georgia_tech_swagger, I've already seen posts elsewhere that KDE4.1 has caused crashes, and in some cases re-installs. Not my Cup o' Tea, Thanks ..... I'll wait for it to be ready for prime time wink

Thanks to all who posted, ...... appreciated wink

#11 2008-07-30 06:30:36

jdhore

Configuring the size of the panel is *not* intuitive.   The width can be figured out with alot of playing around, but the modification of scale is not at all obvious or intuitive.

Wanna change your clock to 12 hour mode?   Right click on it?   No.   Right click on the panel?   No.    Panel edit mode?   No.    Control Panel and then Date & Time?   No.    Control Panel and then Region Settings?   Yes???  WTF?!

Want to use the installer to add a widget?   It's broken, so give up on that.

Want to add an application icon to the panel?    Try installing quicklauncher widget?   Installer is broken, that's hopeless.   Using the classic menu?  That's impossible.   Using kickoff?   Go to the thing you want and then right click on it and select add to panel.   

Want to adjust spacing?    Well forget simply dragging things around, Sally!  That's too obvious!   You have to go into edit move, and THEN you can move them around.   But it doesn't give you any hints that you can do it that way ... you just stumble upon it if you happen to hover over something and it then gives you the arrows.

The KDE 4.1 Panel is, quite simply, the most incredibly massive piece of epic fail I have EVER EXPERIENCED from KDE.

I gotta say...I agree with everything he said...It's prolly the biggest screw up i've seen in DE's since early GNOME 2.x and KDE 2.

#12 2008-07-30 06:32:22

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

staple wrote:

btw i go to gatech as well

Authentication check:    What's the good word?

#13 2008-07-30 06:47:47

staple

sigh, to hell with georgia

i spend my days in van leer though. the upstate SC and bob barr nonsense make me think you might be annoying though

are you a CS?

#14 2008-07-30 07:12:19

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

staple wrote:

i spend my days in van leer though. the upstate SC and bob barr nonsense make me think you might be annoying though

are you a CS?

Yep.   

And careful, most people who scoff at Bob Barr aren't prepared to talk Austrian Economics and real free market capitalism with me.   The sum total of the reasons I've heard from conservatives to sway me not to vote for Barr have been "it's a vote for Obama."   Which implies that McCain somehow is entitled to my vote, or that holding my nose and voting for somebody not very Republican will have any different outcome than it did in 2004.   But if you're looking to "classify" me politically ... it'd be classical Republican.   Barry Goldwater.   Robert Taft.   Early Ronald Reagan (not later when he forgot what a balanced budget is).

As far as Upstate, SC goes ... the I-85 corridor is full of super heavy industry and IT.   BMW makes every Z roadster and SUV here, and that's scratching the surface.   You'll find alot of Georgia Tech alumni around here, and alot of Linux users.   I'm helping organize the Southeast LinuxFest right here in the Upstate, in fact.   http://www.southeastlinuxfest.com

#15 2008-07-30 09:29:03

shining
Pacman Developer

What about reporting these instability and usability issues to the kde team rather than to us?
And in a productive and polite way, not a flaming like you just made.

Otherwise, I am afraid you totally missed the point of open source software and its spirit.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#16 2008-07-30 13:23:10

georgia_tech_swagger
Website

shining wrote:

What about reporting these instability and usability issues to the kde team rather than to us?
And in a productive and polite way, not a flaming like you just made.

Otherwise, I am afraid you totally missed the point of open source software and its spirit.

I intend to.   But the guy asked whether he should use KDE 4.1 or not.   So I gave him my 2 cents.   KDE 4.1, taken as a whole, is better than 3.5.x.    But the panel is sheer lunacy.

#17 2008-07-30 15:12:30

staple

staple wrote:

are you a CS?

Yep.   

And careful, most people who scoff at Bob Barr aren't prepared to talk Austrian Economics and real free market capitalism with me.   The sum total of the reasons I've heard from conservatives to sway me not to vote for Barr have been "it's a vote for Obama."   Which implies that McCain somehow is entitled to my vote, or that holding my nose and voting for somebody not very Republican will have any different outcome than it did in 2004.   But if you're looking to "classify" me politically ... it'd be classical Republican.   Barry Goldwater.   Robert Taft.   Early Ronald Reagan (not later when he forgot what a balanced budget is).

As far as Upstate, SC goes ... the I-85 corridor is full of super heavy industry and IT.   BMW makes every Z roadster and SUV here, and that's scratching the surface.   You'll find alot of Georgia Tech alumni around here, and alot of Linux users.   I'm helping organize the Southeast LinuxFest right here in the Upstate, in fact.   http://www.southeastlinuxfest.com

re politics: bob barr is the guy that wasted time and money begging the pentagon to ban the practice of wicca in the military. he opposes gay marriage, used to be for the war on drugs, is staunchly pro life, and voted for the war. he's only a libertarian lately. i'm a democrat with libertarian leanings but id never vote for that clown.

re SC: i do like BMWs though....

#18 2008-07-30 17:44:21

Rasi
Website

Rightclick the startmenu icon and then chose "switch to classic menu"

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#19 2008-07-30 17:45:22

shaurz

I believe this is a fundamental problem with pacman. It should not automatically install major versions of software. It should ask if you want to upgrade to the next major version, or stay with the current version. (You should also be able to have multiple version installed at one, but that's a larger problem for a new distro to solve).

#20 2008-07-30 17:51:07

toofishes
Developer
Website

shaurz wrote:

I believe this is a fundamental problem with pacman. It should not automatically install major versions of software. It should ask if you want to upgrade to the next major version, or stay with the current version. (You should also be able to have multiple version installed at one, but that's a larger problem for a new distro to solve).

Wow, looks like someone fell off the Arch Linux bus a while ago. Did you miss our philosophy?

#21 2008-07-30 19:09:55

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

Why in the world would you use arch if you don't want bleeding edge packages?

#22 2008-07-30 19:28:06

magnum_opus

Although that said seeing as pacman asked if i wanted to replace
kde_foo with bar, it actually DID ask before upgrading to the new major version... this time.

#23 2008-07-30 19:55:20

Peyton
Website

magnum_opus wrote:

Although that said seeing as pacman asked if i wanted to replace
kde_foo with bar, it actually DID ask before upgrading to the new major version... this time.

Well, I believe that's just because the package was replaced by another one with a new name.

Still, pacman does present a list of all the packages being installed.

#24 2008-07-30 20:50:21

staple

pacman is good and simple. let's not muddy the waters with a bunch of bloat for people too lazy to look at what packages are being installed. there are already distros for people like that

#25 2008-07-30 23:36:45

Brandybuck

dolby wrote:

man pacman.conf

Why does everyone keep referring to man pages? I have no man pages! Where do I get man pages! I have "man-pages" installed, but nothing on pacman or pacman.conf. And not much on anything else either.

What packages do I install to get complete man pages?

Board footer