You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 23:28:09

MillTek

KDE4 - Questions about the desktop and multiple monitors.

Hi,

I'm giving KDE4 a try and find it pretty good so far. I do have a few questions though.  I have two monitors running off an Nvidia card. 

First question concerns the top  of the screens. There seems to be an empty 'panel(?)' at the top of each screen.  All that's in it is a grayed out cashew for the widgets.  Unfortunately I can't move any window into the area covered by that bar or panel. Is there a setting somewhere I should change or is there a way to get rid of the top 'panels'?

The next concerns other desktops. What happens is that when I switch to desktop 2 my right-most screen goes black. It loses the wallpaper. I can move windows on to it and it performs ok. It's just weird that it's black. Again, is there a setting somewhere? Currently my xorg.conf is set up to use twinview. Should I try xinerama?

I have a directory called Desktop in my home dir. I have a few ".desktop" files in it. These are displayed on the screen in a large rectangle labeled "Desktop".  However, when I tell KDE4 to display one of the standard menu items on the desktop it places them outside this rectangle. Is there a way to control this behavior and also to control the size of the rectangle?

Lastly, my "panel" or taskbar only appears on the left screen. Is there a way to spread it across both???

Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-07-31 08:55:52

anykey

Re: KDE4 - Questions about the desktop and multiple monitors.

I am running kde4 on two Xinerama screens (resolution goes to 3360x1050) too. Apparently there is no way to make the new panel spread across both of them.

I have filed a wish for that feature (ideally kicker's old behaviour): https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=167825

#3 2008-07-31 17:24:44

appel

You can simply create another panel on the other screen, then add configure panel settings widget to it.  Once done, right click and configure panel and select 'only show apps on this monitor on this panel'.

#4 2008-07-31 17:44:44

MillTek

appel wrote:

You can simply create another panel on the other screen, then add configure panel settings widget to it.  Once done, right click and configure panel and select 'only show apps on this monitor on this panel'.

Doesnt work on my second screen. When I right-click, I get the menu but when I select 'add panel' nothing happens.

#5 2008-07-31 18:51:26

anykey

you could, like, vote for that bug, so they see it's important to not just me.

#6 2008-07-31 19:55:14

MillTek

anykey wrote:

you could, like, vote for that bug, so they see it's important to not just me.

Done.  smile

Board footer