You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-01 08:53:04

thunderogg

Gnome and KDE 4.1 without mixing?

I'm running Gnome and love it, but wanted to give KDE 4.1 a chance so I installed it too. When logging in (GDM) I choose whether I want to run Gnome or KDE 4.1,  but when I boot KDE the kde menus are full Gnome stuff, and when I boot Gnome, the menus are full of KDE stuff. It's a mix I don't like. hmm Either I run Gnome or KDE.
Is there a way to stop the Gnome menus scanning the KDE apps and the KDE menus to stop scanning the Gnome apps?
Besides that, when I'm in Gnome and open a nautilus bookmark from the "Places" menu, Konquerer starts up happily and makes me think, "What a mess. Is this the way it's supposed to work?"
If I want to run Gnome only and KDE only, do I need to make a dual boot with two separate Arch installations?

Last edited by thunderogg (2008-08-01 08:54:02)

#2 2008-08-01 12:29:26

Endperform
Website

Re: Gnome and KDE 4.1 without mixing?

The menu "problem" is due to both desktops using the standard menu item location (Freedesktop.org, I believe defines this).  If you want completely separate, you don't have to dual boot with two separate Arch installs, just create a new user and make a shared data location that your KDE and Gnome user can access.  For example:

/home/thunderogg could be thunderogg, your Gnome user
/home/kthunderogg could be kthunderogg, your KDE user

Create a new /home/shared folder with permissions for both users and save your documents there.  That's the only way that I know of to have both installed and not have a menu mess.

#3 2008-08-01 18:03:35

thunderogg

Doesn't that mess up the menus anyway? (Why am I asking? Well, I got so fed up with having Konquerer popping up instead of Nautilus, so I deleted KDE 4.1. I'm sorry. I had no patience.) The whole menu stuff takes part outside ~/. So if KDE and Gnome both are installed, all users will always have items from both desktops. Maybe am I wrong? I don't think I have the patience to download all that KDE 4.1 stuff again just to find out that there is no way around this menu mess. Thanks anyway.

#4 2008-08-01 18:45:46

kishd

These two packages in AUR might be helpful gnome-menu-extended & kmenu-gnome.

---for there is nothing either good or bad, but only thinking makes it so....
Hamlet, W Shakespeare

#5 2008-08-01 19:00:01

thunderogg

Hm, thanks. Will try. That might fix the menu mess, but what about Konquerer? Anybody got any idea why it takes Nautilus place in Gnome?

#6 2008-08-01 19:38:50

wrc1944

AFAIK, this is actually a "feature," present in kde/gnome for years, and it's by design that they can both access some of each others apps. If you don't desire this, I suppose you can always edit the menus in both manually. Personally, I too never cared for it much, but it was ocassionally convenient to be able to access gnome file managers or file editors when kde got hopelessly messed up.

Board footer