You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-02 16:47:04

GregW

[RESOLVED] KDE 4.1 Analogue Clock widget

In the SVN and beta versions of kde 4, the analogue clock widget was great. nice and simple with a clear white background. Now with 4.1 on my laptop I hate the way the analogue clock looks on my desktop. There's too much black within kde 4.1!!!

A few web posts are hinting that although the clock is SVG theme-able it is inheriting from the current theme.

http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Graphi … Prettyness

There are a few other things I don't like about kde 4.1
1. Desktop shortcuts to applications/folders. This affects my productivity now they are not there. what a boring desktop I now have
2. No auto hide on the panel. This is a waste of real estate on the desktop, and makes life difficult connecting via rdesktop/vnc
3. You can't change KDM settings from a regular user account. You have to login as root (once you've modified kdmrc to allow you to do so!) before you can change theme etc.
4. Bug already filed for unsupported characters in pop3/kmail passwords that worked fine in kde 3.X why should i compromise on security??
5. kick-off is awful! Thank god I can use the classic menu.

Last edited by GregW (2010-02-24 13:18:05)

#2 2008-08-02 17:20:02

SoftVision

Re: [RESOLVED] KDE 4.1 Analogue Clock widget

GregW wrote:

In the SVN and beta versions of kde 4, the analogue clock widget was great. nice and simple with a clear white background. Now with 4.1 on my laptop I hate the way the analogue clock looks on my desktop. There's too much black within kde 4.1!!!

A few web posts are hinting that although the clock is SVG theme-able it is inheriting from the current theme.

http://www.notmart.org/index.php/Graphi … Prettyness

1. Desktop shortcuts to applications/folders. This affects my productivity now they are not there. what a boring desktop I now have
2. No auto hide on the panel. This is a waste of real estate on the desktop, and makes life difficult connecting via rdesktop/vnc
3. You can't change KDM settings from a regular user account. You have to login as root (once you've modified kdmrc to allow you to do so!) before you can change theme etc.
4. Bug already filed for unsupported characters in pop3/kmail passwords that worked fine in kde 3.X why should i compromise on security??

If you don't like the clock in the default theme, I suggest you choose the Aya theme as it has a similar clock to what you are referring to. It is available on kde-look.org.

#3 2008-08-03 15:14:11

zeb

Re: [RESOLVED] KDE 4.1 Analogue Clock widget

GregW wrote:

Regarding #1 in your list: I am not entirely sure what you mean, but dragging apps from kickoff or the classic menu to the desktop adds an app launch icon. Dragging a folder from the file manager to the desktop lets you choose whether you want to add an icon or a folder view.

As for number 3, an easier and safer solution is to simply run "kdesu systemsettings" to start the systemsettings app as root. No need for a full root login.

Board footer