You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-03 15:10:00

cubey

Can't set root password during installation.

Hi I'm coming off of ubuntu and have been reading about arch, and I really like the thinking behind its design so I thought I'd try it out. I've been making my way through the installation (with the help of the beginner's guide) but now I'm stuck at the part where I need to set the root password. If at the beginning I log in as root I get the error message:
chroot: cannont run command 'passwd': No such file or directory

and if I log in as arch at the beginning I get:
chroot: cannot change root directory to /mnt: Operation not permitted

I thought it was interesting it said it couldn't change to the /mnt directory, I can into similar problems when I was configuring the other files. nano would load up blank but if I did ^R /etc/(file) instead of leaving it to /mnt/etc/(file) then it would load up, and I tried to right to /mnt/ it wouldn't work but /etc/ worked fine. I'll admit I don't have a great understanding of what's going on or what the errors indicate, and I've tried reading the guide and tried googling the error message, but I'm coming up blank.

#2 2008-08-03 16:42:14

ghostHack

Re: Can't set root password during installation.

I've not used the latest install CD but if you were getting blank config files then some part of the installation has failed earlier on.  It might be that you didn't identify and mount the partitions you wanted to install Arch onto.

#3 2008-08-03 16:44:08

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

cubey, do an reinstall, sounds like you missed a step. Make sure you hit 'done' on everything, and don't <esc> out of sub-menues in the installer.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2008-08-03 17:30:15

cubey

Mr.Elendig wrote:

cubey, do an reinstall, sounds like you missed a step. Make sure you hit 'done' on everything, and don't <esc> out of sub-menues in the installer.

Ok, will do. Thanks.

Board footer