You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-04 12:02:25

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Slow-to-appear Konsole

Is there a way to make Konsole (under KDE4.1) open faster? I know that most DE-associated terminal emulators run more slowly than xterm and its cousins, but I still expect Konsole to do better than sort of slowly materialize into view.

Is there a setting that I'm not seeing?

I really like my terminal windows to pop up on the screen like they're eager to get to work. As it stands, I get the feeling that I'm disturbing Konsole from a nap.

My machine is decently fast and I've got ample RAM, so I don't think the problem is that my system is underpowered.

Thanks.

Last edited by dhave (2008-08-04 12:03:35)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2008-08-04 12:08:27

lucke

Re: Slow-to-appear Konsole

Use yakuake?

#3 2008-08-04 12:19:09

dhave

lucke wrote:

Use yakuake?

Yeah, I do use yakuake, but I generally reserve that for pacman, preferring to use other another terminal emulator for other tasks. I've got yakuake configured so that it springs open like a switchblade, which is what I like.

Donate to Arch!

#4 2008-08-04 13:21:48

lucke

I prefer to have multiple tabs open in yakuake than to have konsole get in my way as a regular window. Saves the trouble of starting konsole as well.

If you're using a nVidia card, have you tried using suggested xorg.conf settings?

#5 2008-08-04 13:30:10

dhave

lucke wrote:

I prefer to have multiple tabs open in yakuake than to have konsole get in my way as a regular window. Saves the trouble of starting konsole as well.

Maybe I need to play with yakuake's tabs a bit. I never use multiple tabs in yakuake. Can you jump from one tab to another without using the mouse?

If you're using a nVidia card, have you tried using suggested xorg.conf settings?

I do have an nVidia card, and I think I've got it optimized as well as I can. I've been following the discussions about KDE4 and nvidia.

I'm thinking of ditching konsole in favor of urxvt, but since I'm already a frequent yakuake user, I'll definitely experiment with tabs.

Thanks for the good suggestions.

Donate to Arch!

#6 2008-08-04 13:47:12

lucke

Sure, you don't need mouse. I have changed the opening shortcut to shift+up arrow, changing tabs is set by default to shift+left/right arrow, I close tabs by using shell quit shortcut, ctrl-d. My yakuake is set to full width and height, opened with F12, retracting when losing focus and with disabled opening/retracting animation. All in all, a very comfortable CLI environment I wouldn't trade for anything else :-)

Board footer