You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-05 06:12:25

albinoloverats
Website

Proprietary Graphics Driver Freezes Machine

I've a serious, and consistent, problem using both nVidia and ATI cards and their respective proprietary drivers.

Booting to runlevel 3 works fine, and I am able to use the vga option within Grub to set a resolution of 1400x1050. But if I try and startx (or equivalent) everything dies - the monitor goes blank and ssh connections are lost - Alt-SysRq-* still work though.

The Xorg.0.log contains no error messages, which is making things more frustrating sad

I've tried everything I could find with the help of google (hwd, aticonfig, xorgcfg) but nothing has work successfully yet.

[EDIT]Using any of the free drivers (nv, radeonhd, vesa) work, but produce ugly resolutions and don't always fit on my monitor correctly, and obviously don't support hardware acceleration).[/EDIT]

Thanks,
Ash

Last edited by albinoloverats (2008-08-05 08:10:36)

#2 2008-08-05 08:03:37

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Proprietary Graphics Driver Freezes Machine

using both?

also, you might want to modify that title "bricks" usually means a permanently broken and unusable machine.... ie, as useful as a brick.

Last edited by iphitus (2008-08-05 08:04:31)

#3 2008-08-05 08:15:42

albinoloverats
Website

Re: Proprietary Graphics Driver Freezes Machine

iphitus wrote:

using both?

Indeed, using both - I've an idea that it may be due to limitations of the screen, because it's the only video hardware that stays the same, but setting a desired mode doesn't seem to have any affect.

iphitus wrote:

also, you might want to modify that title "bricks" usually means a permanently broken and unusable machine.... ie, as useful as a brick.

Done tongue

Board footer