You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-05 11:49:06

smev81

cfdisk screwed my mbr?

Hello,

i want to report a strange issue. I don´t know whom i should tell else. It regards cfdisk on archlinux livecd environment.

Here is the story. I installed Windows XP, then XP64 on an empty harddisk. I then attempted to install archlinux. After booting into the livecd, i invoked cfdisk, which showed me the first primary which i named 32 and another logical partititon. I thought it to be strange that this second partition wouldnt be the second primary partition. I ignored it and installed Arch, booted it with grub and configured it some hours. I then wanted to boot into XP 64 bit on the logical partition. Grub refused to go there, the NT loader which came with the first WindowsXP did as well. I went Irc at #arch,#linux,#grub,#debian,#gentoo and googled some time. I don´t really expect and answer to this, or an solution. I don´t know, which part of my computer caused that. Can a partition change from primary to logical itself. I think not. I looked up the boot.ini which pointed to the second primary. I changed it to point to the now logical partition. But Windows cant boot on logicals as far as i was told on #grub. But before installing arch, where i think cfdisk was responsible, i was able to boot into the Xp64.

I hope my english makes sense, no native speaker at this end. I just wanted to be a bugreporter, since it is described as a crucial task for endusers to enhance opensource and i do not know, which person to pester. I will report this to people that can perhaps make a use, if i find them on my own.

Regards

Ulf Dellbrügge

Board footer