You are not logged in.

#151 2008-07-27 15:47:19

countercraft

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello, my name is Gabriel, and I'm from Brazil. I use Arch for six months , started with Don't Panic. I've heard about it on an Open Source event on my city, in last September. I've burned the Don't Panic's ISO, but I've stored it because I was very busy to try out, and Slackware was perfect to me. In January, I've counting my linux CDs smile and I remember of Arch. I was in vacation, so I installed it. When I discovered Pacman... WOW... why I not tested this before? When I discovered ABS and AUR, I wiped out Slackware tongue

I've converted two of my friends to "the wonderful world of Arch Linux" cool

The distro is everything I've tried to find since I started to use Linux, a year ago. I've tested Slackware, Fedora, openSUSE, Ubuntu, Kurumin, Big Linux, Debian and definitively, Arch is the thing I was looking for smile

#152 2008-07-27 20:50:16

kclive18

Haven't introduced myself yet here, so...

I'm Kenneth, and I'm an engineering student at Ohio State University in Columbus, OH.  My intended major is electrical, and I am currently in my second year of school.  I started using Arch (Core Dump) about 4 months ago on my laptop and have loved it ever since.  I was originally born in Mumbai, India, but came to Ohio when I was 4 and have lived here ever since.

My Rigs:
- Mid-2007 iMac 20", Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 250GB SATA HDD, and...MIGHTY MOUSE!!! tongue, OSX 10.5 Leopard, ATI Radeon 2400XT 128MB
- HP zv6203cl, AMD Athlon 64 3200 S939, 2x512MB DDR400, 80GB 4200rpm HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB, Arch i686 cool
- 1986 Gibson SG Junior Cherry Red, Ibanez 15W amp, DigiTech RP250 modeling processor

#153 2008-07-27 23:16:41

ajk

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to Archlinux, but I am to the forums... I posted a question already but not getting a nice quick response on it sad

I'm using Arch for about half a year now, and I realy like the concept smile

So ... keep up the good work!!!

A proud Linux user big_smile

#154 2008-07-29 14:04:17

ukognos

Hello everyone

i'm another former gentoo user and i must say arch is great smile

it works almost all out of the box and you don't have to spend hours of tweaking to get something work
and it's amazingly fast for a binary distribution. ( and you don't have to spend hours if you want a system upgrade )

so keep up that great work

so long
ukognos

#155 2008-08-02 20:14:34

antiG

Hi all,

My name is PAN Si Cheng, I'm Chinese living in France, I can speak Chinese, English, French and a little German.

I began using Linux with Fedora on 2005, then I tried some other distributions like openSUSE, Debian, Slackware. I found Arch months ago, the Arch way is great. I read many docs about this distribution and now I'm ready to install it.

See ya on the forum! 以后见! A bientôt!

#156 2008-08-02 23:36:00

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Hi guys,

I just bailed Xubuntu about a week ago, first and only Linux derivate i've used. The last year i've ran the development versions, which unfortunately became increasingly resource demanding and buggy, regrrressions alore. But they really broke my heart when i found out that the next release (Intrepid Ibex) will force the full 32bit compatibility libraries on every 64bit nvidia install, supposedly to "avoid problems for people that what to install the 32bit flashplugin-nonfree on their 64bit machines". Well knit my socks and call me Carla, but that's just unacceptable.

I'm a happy camper now though, Arch has really kissed me on the forehead and i look forward to getting to know her (you) better. wink

Thanks for all the hard work,
-lite

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#157 2008-08-03 00:12:34

odf

Hi, I'm from Montréal / Canada I'm a french speaking person and I am 24 years old.

I work in construction, I am building new houses and condos.

As someone who's really not into computers and science I'm having great fun learning the arch way and I really like that way.

And my nickname is an acronym of bad words in french canadian sad

Last edited by odf (2008-08-03 00:13:47)

#158 2008-08-03 14:43:27

Top_se

Hello, I`m another arch-noob *g*

I`m from Germany and I finished my grammar school this year, so I`m 18 and I`ve got long holidays now till the 1st october when studying begins (technical physics).

I like to programm in my freetime, but I didn`t do any great projects till now ... 2 years ago or so I started using linux the first time, I installed ubuntu on my home computer, because I got bored of windows. So I used and explored ubuntu from time to time ...

Now, half a year ago I bought a laptop with a 64bit architecture and I search for a linux distro which is new and has good support for 64bit so I found arch.

At the moment I`m on the lookout for an activity (likely programming) ...

#159 2008-08-05 04:46:11

archdave
Website

Work Experience: Industrial Automation Control Systems (Instrumentation, Electrical, and Computers)
1st Computer:      IBM 360 in college
2nd Computer:     IBM 360 at work
3rd Computer:      DEC VAX

1st home computer: Sinclair ZX80, he he, if you can call that a home computer

Not actually being a noobie to linux (I've been using it since before Y2K)
and not entirely new to using Arch Linux,
I am still a relative noobie to posting here.

So I thought I would introduce myself, anyways.

My first name is David so archdave as an id only seemed natural.
In real life I'm a relatively old man of the age 52 years (at this writing).
I've also kind of been thru the ringer with Linux Distros as I've been using
one version or another of the following for quite some years:

Slackware Linux vs 2.0 - My 1st ever install.
                                         I think it was mid 90's, so far back
                                         I can't remember the year exactly
                                         (they say the memory is the first thing to go)
     RedHat
     Debian
     Slackware (again)
     Fedora
     Knoppix
     Slax
     SuSe
     Slackware (again)
     Gentoo (oh God)
     Slackware (again and continueing)
     Ubuntu
     Kubuntu
     Arch Linux

I think I may have reached my happy spot, finally.

Currently quad-booting Arch, Kubuntu and Slackware and that other pos os called ex-pee

Last edited by archdave (2008-08-06 17:42:25)

Running GNU/Linux Arch (Core Dump) x86_64 on System Dell-a-zoid
on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz

#160 2008-08-05 06:17:36

k2t0f12d

Previous Distros:    Debian {Sarge,Etch,Lenny}, Ubuntu {Edgy,Feisty,Gutsy,Hardy}, Knoppix, openSUSE 10.3,
                            Linux From Scratch, DIY Linux

Kia ora from Auckland, New Zealand.

I recently had been following LFS and DIY Linux with the goal of rolling my own system from source.  Things were going well as I hammered out the scripts for a build system I was writing in GNU Emacs.  That is, until I needed to reference some texinfo about some useful programs.  After struggling with apt-get, Debian's PM binary, I managed to find and install the GNU documentation packages I thought I needed, most of which had been put in the Debian non-free repo, but even then texinfo continued pulling man pages where I expected info docs.  Frustrated, and since the PM system I was designing was a lot like pacman + makepkg anyway, I decided to try Archlinux.  I rubbed out my installation of Debian Lenny, and without looking back, put in an installation of Arch + FluxBox, and have been happily hacking all day.  This is the way GNU+Linux was meant to be done, thanks!

#161 2008-08-06 01:41:07

powerpleb

Greetings Archers,

I've been using GNU/Linux for about 6 months now and after brief stints with Ubuntu, Mint and Debian I am finally ready for something a bit more hands on, so I'm using Arch. So far I am absolutely amazed by it (I tried slackware but found it a chore to use).

I live in Melbourne, Australia and other than messing around on computers I am an Anthropology/Linguistics student.

#162 2008-08-07 03:21:01

lehm

just want to join in the fun !
name is mhel,  just a regular guy, only been using AL for about a week, and liking it . 'Had Ubuntu installed for about a month never actually use it cu'z I don't know how. I'm still dualboot winuser, slowly becoming a convert. I decided to really learn some linux this time so I chose AL actually it's my second choice smile first choice was DSL. I believe I made the right choice.

(btw, I'm also from Montreal, but I don't speak French and it's my fault...I'm too lazy to learn new language at the moment smile )

Last edited by lehm (2008-08-07 03:21:54)

#163 2008-08-07 20:13:02

munkyeetr

Hello all,

I had been using Linux on and off (mostly off) for several years; there always seemed to be something that I wasn't able to accomplish either with the distro I was using or due to my lack of linux knowledge. For the last year I abandoned my dual-boot with XP and have made the switch. I have generally toggled between using Ubuntu 7.10 as my main production OS and dual booting with Debian (testing), but have played with Fedora, SuSE, Puppy, even managed a Gentoo install. A few months back I made Debian my production OS, and have fiddled from there.

I have heard great things about Arch, especially how once you've tried it you never go back. I've been feeling a little bored lately, and so decided I wanted a change and it was a toss up between giving another go with Gentoo, or trying Arch. I opted for Arch (obviously) because the constant compiling in Gentoo was a little tedious for me. Pure, for sure, but tedious.

So here I am. And it wasn't without struggle. The installler is pretty straightforward and FAST, but I had issues with the Arch grub taking over my boot sequence. Basically, I could not get the newly installed grub to see my Debian install, though I could easily mount and view the files from it. Now, I'm pretty capable with editing menu.lst files and changing the grub setup, but I was getting damn frustrated. Not to mention that I had work that needed to be done in GIMP right away. I planned to quickly install Arch, setup my system to dual boot, then do what I needed to do, and set up Arch at my leisure. I hadn't planned on spending all day messing around.

To make a long painful story short, I ended up reinstalling Debian hoping it would reinstall the boot loader properly, then when that failed to work, I reinstalled Ubuntu, which also failed. I ended up deleting the partition holding Arch, reinstalling Ubuntu again, then using a grub boot disk to reset root (hd0) [which wasn't working before], then reinstall Arch, and didnt install the boot loader when prompted. Blah blah blah. I probably made a lot of rash choices during the day, what with all the reinstalls and all, but here I am.

Sucessful dual boot Arch + Ubuntu (though Debian will probably be replacing that soon).

See you around in the forums.

JB

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#164 2008-08-07 21:48:03

yama

Welcome to all the new users smile

munkyeetr wrote:

I have heard great things about Arch, especially how once you've tried it you never go back.

Have to agree with that.

I spent hours with the installer. But it was so worth it... Welcome to the luvly world of Arch. Hope you enjoy your stay.  smile

Last edited by yama (2008-08-07 21:50:31)

#165 2008-08-07 22:37:28

Isengrin

Yo!
I'm a literature student, but with some modest Linux self-study.
I've used Linux for almost six years with Red Hat and SuSE mainly, and lately Mandriva.
Nine months ago I got a new laptop, and since then I've been distro hopping to make one of them to work well with my stupid Only-Vista-Hardware... But nothing, so I think I'll stay here. Please be gentle with me wink

Last edited by Isengrin (2008-08-07 22:45:06)

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#166 2008-08-07 23:14:07

glad
Website

I've been using Arch for some years now, but I never actually said hello, so HELLO everyone :-)

I first started to look at Linux to get rid of all the windows viruses, spyware etc. And since I'm not much of a gamer linux whould fit nicly for me.

I tried everything from Ubuntu, to that graphical Gentoo distro, but none of them appeald to what I meant Linux should be - A user freindly and easy to maintain distro

When I first found Arch there was love at first sight, Ndiswrapper worked almost out of the box, just pacman it and so I did with both Ndiswrapper and everything else that I needed for a fully working system, ofc I spended alot of time reading the wiki, and googling for answears regarding the problems I had, cause Arch was the first non graphical distro i tried, and I can't say that I have used the command line so much before this, but I eventually learnd it, and now All I can say is that I love Arch, it's the love of my life, atleast for now.

....hopefully a girl will come and ruin it all.. -.- tongue

#167 2008-08-08 12:49:17

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

glad wrote:

....hopefully a girl will come and ruin it all.. -.- tongue

Aww wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#168 2008-08-11 19:50:02

speeddemon8803

Hey guys im sure ill be making a LOT of posts on these forums big_smile So...here comes post #1 smile I am a Linux Enthusiast...been using another linux distribution (the most famous one on DistroWatch ATM)  and i decided to dip my feet in arch and see what the hypes about!  So far so good!

#169 2008-08-11 20:57:28

joltgen

I had been using ubuntu for a while and I was bored. I wanted to configure more things myselfe. I initially looked att gentoo but it was to much for me... installing gentoo on five computers didn't feel like a great idea since I'm also a bit impatient. So I tried arch linux and I had som trouble at first but I did get them sorted out and I absolutely love this distro! I've installed it on 3 of my computers and I have 2 more to go smile

"Freedom is not 'choosing between black and white,but to avoid such predetermined choice."

#170 2008-08-11 21:28:38

colbert

I too started off using Ubuntu, fell in love with linux because of it and decided to try different flavours. Well, I only got up to Arch because I've stuck with it since late last year and I've learnt oodles since then, with a long road still to go! smile Arch is fantastic, I gotta say pacman, AUR and ABS are just too schweet big_smile

#171 2008-08-12 05:24:29

aeon

Hi everyone! I've been using linux as my main OS now for the last 4 years and i've gone through about 10 different distros so far. I just wanted to give arch a try so i installed it as a virtual machine a few months ago and liked it so much I put it on my laptop aswell smile

I'm considering putting it on my main machine aswell, but I need to get a new hdd first..

Lurking a lot and posting a little probably sums it all up wink

Last edited by aeon (2008-08-12 05:25:54)

#172 2008-08-12 20:50:52

Ranguvar

Hey all! I'm switching to Linux completely once I get new RAM (the bad RAM mucked up WinXP and gave me the push to finally ditch it). I've dabbled a lot with Linux before, but I've never completely gone over. Before, I've mostly used Kubuntu and SuSE. I am a power user with Windows, and one of the reasons I'm diving in is so that I can learn more smile The fact that I love the free software philosophy helps too wink

I installed Arch in a VMware virtual machine, VMware because I use 32-bit Windows and want to try 64-bit Linux. Anyways, so far I love it. It has none of the clutter of Kubuntu, and even though I'm *fairly* noobish with Linux, I want to learn, and I feel like Arch empowers me to do so. It's fast, stable, and open. It puts me in control =] I doubt I would ever learn as much as I have over the last few days pouring over the wiki and other random pages if I had just used Kubuntu. Now, Kubuntu is excellent, don't get me wrong - it's just not what I'm looking for.

So, thanks to everyone who helped make Arch what it is today! Hopefully once I've learned the rudimentaries of C and C++, I'll be able to contribute my own time to this excellent project =]

See you guys around!

#173 2008-08-13 06:13:45

shiki
Website

Hello everyone. I won't write down my own name, everybody calls me just Shiki or Hisui. I'm from Hungary, that little country in the middle europe (even hard to find it on the zone settings in some distro smile). I changed to Arch recently, and the migrating is still going on. Anyway, Arch is the best so far, but yeah , just like topic starter said, its nonsense to write something like this. smile

I would call myself an average user. I used Ubuntu(only for really short time.. I got fed up with that .... fast enough), Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, and a lot of others, but those weren't existed too long on my PC. So.. again.. Hello everybody! smile Cheers tongue

#174 2008-08-14 13:41:19

capolise

From yesterday I'm a new archer! big_smile

I come from some years of gentoo and some small experiences with ubuntu and opensuse.

Gentoo is a good distribution but it takes too long time for any package upgrade due to the tedious and heavy compilation process. It stress my little laptop HD too much...ubuntu and opensuse give to the user a good pre-configured Linux distro (especially OpenSuse 11) but my impression is that I haven't the control of the system like in ArchLinux or Gentoo, where I almost perfectly know how the system is builded and configured and how it works.  cool

#175 2008-08-15 16:48:49

Bregol

Hello.  I started using linux in high school, where we had a student team running our school website.  I was introduced to Gentoo there.  I then started running Gentoo on my own machine for several years until I got sick of the time spent compiling tongue  But during that time, I had the opportunity to learn much about linux, mostly by breaking things and learning how to fix them.  Then I switched to Kubuntu around Feisty Fawn era.  But I hated the 6-month cycle.  So a couple weeks ago I found and installed Arch.  For me, its the power and control of Gentoo (and rolling updates big_smile ), without the time of compiling.

Last edited by Bregol (2008-08-15 16:49:21)

Nai haryuvalyë melwa rë

Board footer