You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-06 13:11:34

eyolf
Website

Openoffice 3 beta and devel -- what's the difference?

There are now two different ooo3 packages in extra -- devel and beta. What's the difference? Bleeding-edge vs. stability?
It also seems that the beta package takes the user configuration from ~/.openoffice/3/user, whereas the devel package uses ~/.openoffice3/user. Are there other differences?
Can I just move the old files to the new profile?
BTW, the beta package (at least) solves most of the problems I had with the previous ooo3 version (macros not found, etc.) -- thanks!

#2 2008-08-06 13:27:00

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Openoffice 3 beta and devel -- what's the difference?

The beta pkg is the latest recommended "Prerelease" for serious testing leading to the next stable release (beta+release candidates). It is based on forked source trees (some kind of a "branch").

The devel pkg is based on the latest public developement snapshot (like "trunk"). Beyond that there are only custom patches and not yet integrates so called "child work spaces"(cws). It is just a playground for me to follow all changes to keep it compile and for users to test latest features and sure to early find new bugs. I know some Arch users are contributing to OpenOffice.org in various ways.

I try to make it possible to install all varsions along not mixing each other. But afaik we have no control in what direction personal configuration will be stored. So it's always good to backup ~/.openoffice* before starting another version.

#3 2008-08-06 13:46:33

eyolf
Website

Thanks -- much appreciated, both the clarification, and the work on the packages. Perhaps some of this info could be included in the pkg info?

#4 2008-08-06 13:50:15

AndyRTR
Developer

better go on and place some hints into our wiki pages. then i can point there using a post.install message.

Board footer