You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-07 16:41:58

Coume
Website

When I reboot from Arch, my laptop won't even read its bios anymore...

Hello All,

I have the weirdest problem on my Asus A6T that I have seen in a long time...

Last Sunday, I rebooted my laptop using the "reboot" function in Arch. I never ever use reboot but for once I did.
My laptop did log out but when it should have booted again, even the bios did not start. The screen did not turn on, the HDD did not start to spin up.
As my laptop was hot before the reboot, I thought that my motherboard (or something hardware) died as this laptop had its motherboard and LCD screen changed 1month ago... I just thought here we go again...

I reset the bios, and did all the master reset possible, changes the RAMs, tried to boot without HDD, I tried anything I could think of to troubleshoot my laptop... I decided to let it on the side for 4 days and to not try to boot it again. Before trying after 4 days, I re-did the bios reset, etc. and then it booted as if nothing never happened.

So I tried to reboot the laptop again to see what would happen and guess what... same situation... the BIOS do not boot anymore, etc. I will let it on the side for few days and I bet that my laptop will be fully functional again but does someone have a clue of what could be happening there?

I have had several laptops and desktops over the last 15 years or so and I cannot recall such weird behaviour. How come a reboot *kill*/*freeze* a motherboard to prevent it from booting?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
Ludo

#2 2008-08-07 17:21:40

signor_rossi

Re: When I reboot from Arch, my laptop won't even read its bios anymore...

My HP 8220 did not reboot correctly unless I added reboot=b to the grub command line. But without it I never had an unusable machine for days, I only had to turn it off the hard way by pressing the power button for a few seconds and on the next press it would come on again cleanly, your machine behaves very strange indeed.
Bye, signorRossi.

Board footer