You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-07 14:01:55

archdave
Website

KDE entry in Desktop Environments of the Wiki - [Updated]

Is anyone working on update for this entry?

tpowa is Package Maintainer per the wiki, but is not answering emails.
Maybe he's simply too busy.
KDEmod entry has been changed already to include KDEmod4.

Since KDE3.5 is no longer in the repository, shouldn't this entry be
rewritten for KDE4.1?
Waiting for KDE4.2?

Last edited by archdave (2008-08-08 00:43:57)

Running GNU/Linux Arch (Core Dump) x86_64 on System Dell-a-zoid
on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz

#2 2008-08-07 14:20:57

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: KDE entry in Desktop Environments of the Wiki - [Updated]

It's a wiki. Go ahead and edit yourself. The article itself seems outdated and quite chaotic; maybe its easier to start from scratch.

#3 2008-08-08 00:41:08

archdave
Website

Re: KDE entry in Desktop Environments of the Wiki - [Updated]

Pierre wrote:

It's a wiki. Go ahead and edit yourself. The article itself seems outdated and quite chaotic; maybe its easier to start from scratch.

Ahh, Pierre!

Good day to you Sir.  Since asking my question I've discovered that you are the current KDE4 maintainer for Arch Linux. So coming from the horse's mouth, so to speak, I took your advice and did just that.  I've spent a large part of my day combing the forums for relavent comments/fixes and trying them when I can and documenting them in the KDE Wiki Page.

I know it's a lowly job, but everyone has to start somewhere.  If you could find a minute in your busy schedule to do a quick review of it and let me know if you think I'm on track in this effort I'd appreciate it.  No hurry, and if your schedule is too busy to allow it I'll understand since I've been in your shoes many times in my work life and I understand fully.

As a word of encouragement just let me say "Don't let the dirty bastids get you down."  If there's not one among them to offer a hand of help then they deserve what they got.  smile I just hope they have backups! he he!

If nothing else, you've provided an answer to the comment I read recently in the forums "Arch makes life boring!"
All I can say is "Be carefull what you ask for." smile

Just think of the alternative.  Would you want Arch, known for its leading edge development, to be the last major distro to move to KDE 4.1?  I think not.  So if you are going to be damned if you do and damned if you don't, the best path is to keep moving ahead.  Best of luck Pierre and keep up the good work.

Dave

Running GNU/Linux Arch (Core Dump) x86_64 on System Dell-a-zoid
on Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz

Board footer