You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-07 18:34:41

thayer
Fellow
Website

Troubleshooting Firefox 3, and FF3+Vimperator

Free time has been a luxury lately and since upgrading to Minefield I've encountered a bunch of weird things that I'm only now finding time to troubleshoot.  I am wondering if anyone else is suffering from these and whether there might be a cure. I have searched the forums, but answers seem in short supply. 

I'll preface this by saying that last week I created a fresh FF profile in hopes of fixing some of the following--it didn't help.  I've also toggled all extensions to see if that helps--it hasn't.

1. Firefox ignores desktop placement rules
Under Openbox I cannot get FF3 to respect my desktop rule of loading on Desktop 2. Instead, it loads on whatever desktop I happen to be viewing.

2. Firefox jumps desktops when links are clicked.
If FF3 is already open on Desktop 2 and I click a link in my terminal on Desktop 1, FF3 will jump to Desktop 1 and open the link there.

3. Constantly logged out of iGoogle (homepage)
Also new to FF3, when I close the browser I am logged out of iGoogle, which is my homepage. This happens with and without Vimperator enabled (I'm aware of Vimperator's session behaviour). The only way around this is to close the browser while actually viewing iGoogle.

4. Vimperator steals focus from form boxes
I know this was a problem that plagued earlier versions of Vimperator, but it seems to have returned in FF3. I normally use CTRL+k to access the google search box, however with Vimperator enabled it throws me into command mode.  I've tried the escape key sequences too, to no avail.  In general, I seem to be fighting with Vimperator whenever I want to type in a form box (not just the search box.)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, though I'm surely forgetting something else. Has anyone else wrestled with these and won?

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2008-07-08 16:12:31

smurnjiff

Re: Troubleshooting Firefox 3, and FF3+Vimperator

Try :noremap <C-k> <C-v><A-d><Tab>

The newest version of Vimperator has changed alot of it's keybindings.

#3 2008-07-08 18:10:07

miggy

1. desktop placement (maybe)

Not sure this is your issue...with FF2 I had set rules with "firefox" or maybe it was "firefox-bin" but with FF3 I've had to change the rules to "Minefield."  Not sure if openbox works a similar way...

#4 2008-07-09 17:34:24

thayer
Fellow
Website

smurnjiff wrote:

Try :noremap <C-k> <C-v><A-d><Tab>

The newest version of Vimperator has changed alot of it's keybindings.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

miggy wrote:

1. desktop placement (maybe)
Not sure this is your issue...with FF2 I had set rules with "firefox" or maybe it was "firefox-bin" but with FF3 I've had to change the rules to "Minefield."  Not sure if openbox works a similar way...

Yeah, I had already updated my rules with "Minefield", and also tried Navigator, as the name value.  Neither have worked unfortunately. Thanks though!

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2008-08-08 09:50:32

celeron55

I have the same problem of Firefox jumping on different desktops when links are clicked. It's quite annoying, yeah, though it could be a "feature". Firefox 2 didn't do this. I'm using kde 3.5.

...Oh well, after some more googling I found a solution in the comments on this page: https://bugs.launchpad.net/firefox/+bug/204927
Setting "browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground = true" in about:config solves this.

Board footer