You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-05 03:23:12

Allan
Pacman
Website

AUR Cleanup

The AUR has a large number of obsolete packages which could use cleaning up.  Examples of packages that may be cleaned up are:
  - packages that have been renamed or replaced
  - old and unmaintained developmental (cvs/svn/etc) packages

This is where you can help.  Post suggestions of packages in the AUR Cleanup wiki page (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_CleanUp_Day) or as a reply to this thread.  TUs will get together and go though the list in a couple of weeks and confirm which packages should be removed.  Please do not remove suggestions from the wiki page but add a comment on why it should be kept instead.  TUs will take great care not to delete any useful package.

#2 2008-05-05 03:43:00

dolby

Re: AUR Cleanup

Heh, nice. I had my very own flyspray cleanup day yesterday (task still in progress). At least i tried. Results in the next days.
I might drop in at some point smile

Last edited by dolby (2008-05-05 03:43:26)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2008-05-05 16:28:53

catwell
Website

Great. I've relayed the news on a french community website. I told the users they could report them on our own forum too (it could be easier if they don't speak english), I'll relay their suggestions to the wiki page myself.

#4 2008-05-05 18:38:04

Maki
Website

Yeah, it would be cool to organize an AUR cleanup. +1

If it ain't broke, broke it then fix it.

#5 2008-05-06 07:10:41

xsdnyd

my suggestions (if i find more, i 'll edit my post):

gmpc*-svn: they're replaced by -git

We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

#6 2008-05-06 07:13:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

xsdnyd wrote:

my suggestions (if i find more, i 'll edit my post)

Thanks.  It would be even better if you could edit the wiki. smile  If not, then just do a new post as it makes it easier for me to keep track of the additions.

#7 2008-05-10 13:13:04

Allan
Pacman
Website

Just giving this a bump.  We have about 65 packages for the TUs to sort through so far.  We will probably sort through the list in a week so there is still time to add anything more!

#8 2008-05-15 15:26:40

Lifty

Wouldn't it be easier to have the option in AUR to vote for a package to get removed. I mean something similar to the "vote out of date" functionality. You could just limit it to the orphan packages of course. The packages would actually don't be removed automatically by this 'vote' just kind of tagged. With this tag you could very easily assemble a list of outdated/dead/orphan packages (by just searching for them in AUR).

#9 2008-05-15 16:57:58

Sigi

Lifty wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to have the option in AUR to vote for a package to get removed. I mean something similar to the "vote out of date" functionality. You could just limit it to the orphan packages of course. The packages would actually don't be removed automatically by this 'vote' just kind of tagged. With this tag you could very easily assemble a list of outdated/dead/orphan packages (by just searching for them in AUR).

I like the idea. Now we just need to find someone with the needed skills to implement it...

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#10 2008-05-15 17:04:32

bender02

Lifty wrote:

I (for one) don't like the idea too much: it makes it too easy to tag packages to be removed, and with the recent subversive activity (someone deliberately adopting and deleting packages), I'd say it would be misused - which would just add extra work for TU's. I don't think it's that much work to go to wiki and add a line, if you think a package should be removed.

#11 2008-05-15 20:30:42

Lifty

I don't think there are that much people out there aiming to misuse this. But there are several things you could do for protection. One measure could be a lock of this feature for packages orphaned lately. Lets say it takes 3 weeks on a package in orphaned stage before you can tag it to be removed. You could also force that only registered users can trigger that and maybe additionally log who tagged it. There might also be some kind of vote so that for example you need 3 users to activate it. Like the 'vote for this package' feature just as a 'vote for this package to be removed' one (but this maybe goes to far).

I totally agree with you that its not that much work to go to wiki and add a line but you have to deal with orphaned packages all the time. So you have to repeat this 'event' regularly whereas with this future you could have it all the time and btw reduce the number of present orphans. And on a regular basis I think it saves one a lot of work. smile

#12 2008-05-15 20:55:13

oliwer
Website

I think AUR needs a "Report abuse" button.  When the user click on it, a textbox appears and the user can write a message which will be transfered to the TU mailing list (or a database). This way it would be easy to ask TU to remove/orphan/modify any package.

#13 2008-05-16 06:58:23

Lifty

I think an abuse function for every task in the way like a message to a list asking for action would make things more complicated but I see that there is need for reporting abuses. Maybe it should be considered having this separately.

#14 2008-08-09 21:18:10

Stefan Husmann

Is the AUR Cleanup Day still to come? I see the list on the Wiki getting longer and longer and removal requests being handled by the AUR general mailing list. So why keeping the Wiki?

#15 2008-08-09 21:27:43

pressh
Developer/TU

Yes please keep using it. Eventually we'll get to it again (we already did some work on it before the holiday season).

Board footer