You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-05 14:52:02

void.pointer

Newbie question about PKGBUILD

Hi,

I'm currently working on upgrading the subversion package, however I'm trying to learn the package system at the same time. I had a newbie question about one of the lines of code in the PKGBUILD script file:

(make external-all && make LT_LDFLAGS="-L$Fdestdir/usr/lib" local-all ) || return 1

Here are my questions:
* What exactly is external-all here?
* What exactly is local-all?
* What is the variable $Fdestdir. This seems like a typo. Should it be $destdir? Can anyone explain this variable?

Thanks to everyone for reading.

#2 2008-08-05 15:09:22

DonVla

Re: Newbie question about PKGBUILD

void.pointer wrote:
(make external-all && make LT_LDFLAGS="-L$Fdestdir/usr/lib" local-all ) || return 1

Here are my questions:
* What exactly is external-all here?
* What exactly is local-all?

open the Makefile inside the source directory and search for the external-all and local-all entries

* What is the variable $Fdestdir. This seems like a typo. Should it be $destdir? Can anyone explain this variable?

$L$Fdestdir is not a PKGBUILD variable. i think it's an internal subervion build variable. read the configure or Makefile file.

#3 2008-08-08 03:00:16

void.pointer

I did as you said and searched the Makefile for external-all, but I only found 2 places where it was used. I found no comments that described what they do. I'm still not sure what they mean.

#4 2008-08-09 19:39:52

DonVla

void.pointer wrote:

I did as you said and searched the Makefile for external-all, but I only found 2 places where it was used. I found no comments that described what they do. I'm still not sure what they mean.

i'm not familiar with subversion, but it sounds like external-all makes some external plugins or external bindings and local-all makes internal libraries or similar. this are then installed under /usr/lib (short install help: http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/INSTALL)
search the official page for more docs or ask in irc (irc://irc.freenode.net/svn)

vlad

#5 2008-08-09 21:38:32

ghostHack

external-all and local-all will be Makefile targets.  Within the Makefile, for each target there is a list of dependancies that are needed to satisfy the target and the instructions to be used to build them.  If the source of these dependancies have modification times after the target then those dependancies will be rebuilt by make.  If the dependancies have not changed then they will not be rebuilt.

Board footer