You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-09 01:24:06

Zerathidune

"Disabling IRQ #18", can't read hard drive

Hello,

I recently got a new laptop. I bought it as a barebones system with just a cpu, and bought the hard drive, memory, and wireless card separately. I had some questions about the compatability of wireless cards with the notebook, so at first I left that part out when assembling it. For the most part things seemed to work ok, a few issues, but nothing serious.

today I put in the wireless card. I booted up, and at the step "Running Udev uevents" I get a message "Disabling IRQ #18" and then it seems to hang for a while. If I wait, I get a bunch of error messages about not being able to launch /sbin/agetty. (there may be some stuff before that, I've always been away from the machine during the transition.) sometimes it gets past that quickly and then hangs on the next step, "Bringing up loopback interface"

I booted off the arch install cd, and got the same message about IRQ #18,  but the machine finished booting without any trouble. unfortunately, it was unable to mount the hard drive or read the MBR.

I also tried booting off a knoppix cd, and disc 1 of a set of slackware install cds, and both of those could read and write to the hard drive just fine.

also, the arch CD detects the wireless card (when I do lspci it is there), and loads the ath5k module for it, but unfortunately only the wired and loopback interfaces show up when I do ifconfig -a.

Any help would be appriciated. Let me know if there's any addtional information you need, Thanks.

#2 2008-08-10 06:44:41

Zerathidune

Re: "Disabling IRQ #18", can't read hard drive

OK, I managed to get it booting again by compiling a custom kernel.

Board footer