You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-08 17:30:21

kimothy

KDE 4.1 + aiglx/xgl

First of all I want to thank all of you for the great forums which has helped me a lot.

Here is the issue. I have a brand new arch setup with kde 4.1 working pretty nice. Now i want composite effects. I'm not shure how to go about it and i don't know if i should use XGL og AIGLX. I will use the kwin window manager (It has served me well in kubuntu). I use the fglrx drivers and they work perfectly.

Thanks for any help. I'm backing up my system now... Just in case disaster big_smile

Just another thing while dealing with the graphics. ETRacer gives me between 80-100 fps, but i get this error in konsole. Seen it a couple of other times as well

libGL error: open DRM failed (Operation not permitted)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering

Thanks

AMD Phenom X4 965, Gigabyte MA770-UD3, Ati Radeon HD4850, Asus Xonar STX

#2 2008-08-08 18:25:30

QuimaxW
Website

Re: KDE 4.1 + aiglx/xgl

I may be wrong...XGL is only supported with NVidia cards which are currently having fits with KDE 4.1

AIGLX is by far better supported by a range of hardware. Check out the arch wiki for a write up on enabling this. (or the XGL...)

Composite in KDE 4.1 can be done through Compiz, or nativly in the system settings. Compiz offers for variety, but introduces potential issues.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#3 2008-08-09 01:10:43

kimothy

Re: KDE 4.1 + aiglx/xgl

Thanks for the response :-)
I followed this guide http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_AIGLX#Cards_Supported
The error message I displayed is gone, so thats a good sign... But still no compositing :-(

"glxinfo | grep direct" told me:

[kimothy@kimothy-desktop ~]$ glxinfo | grep direct                                      
direct rendering: Yes

"grep -i aiglx /var/log/Xorg.0.log gives" me:

[kimothy@kimothy-desktop ~]$ grep -i aiglx /var/log/Xorg.0.log                          
(**) Option "AIGLX" "true"                                                              
(**) AIGLX enabled                                                                      
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2a                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2b                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2d                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2e                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2f                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x31                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x32                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x33                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x34                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x35                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x36                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x37                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x38                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x39                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3a                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3b                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3c                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3d                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3e                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x3f                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x40                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x41                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x42                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x43                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x44                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x45                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x46                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x47                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x48                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x49                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4a                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4c                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4d                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4e                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4f                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x50                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x51                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x52                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x53                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x54                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x55                                 
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x56
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x57
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x58
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x59
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5a
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5b
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5c
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5d
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5e
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x5f
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x60
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x61