You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-04 14:41:26

zamolxis

kde4 configuration files problem ... [solved]

This is what's going on: I start the kde session (I log in as user via kdm) and everything seems to be fine ...for a while! Then suddenly I'm starting to get messages such as "Configuration file /home/tbuta/.kde4/share/config/konquerorrc" not writable for just about everything I try to open - dolphin, konqueror, konsole, ksysguard, etc sadyikes

I checked the permissions and everything seems fine - the files and folders are still owned by the user/group sad

Anyway, I tried a sudo chown -R for the user home folder and I'm getting a "chown: changing ownership of `/home/tbuta': Read-only file system". So I'm thinking if as I said above, the file permissions are actually ok, and I'm getting a "Read-only file system" when I'm trying to chown, it seems to me that somehow the home folder becomes read only in the middle of my kde session?? It's getting exasperating ... if I can't fix this soon, I'm afraid I'll have to leave kde for now ...

Last edited by zamolxis (2008-08-10 23:23:35)

#2 2008-08-04 22:44:56

zamolxis

Re: kde4 configuration files problem ... [solved]

This is REALLY annoying - the problem is back ... I just don't understand what's causing it.

Another thing I noticed is that now for some "non-pure-kde" apps such as firefox, skype - if they were open and then closed, when I try to reopen them again I'm getting a message that an istance is already running (although I can't see any firefox or skype, etc via ksysguard - and a killall command gives me the "no process killed message"...)

Also, when the problems start, if I try to log out of kde and log back in - it won't let me. Once I log out I can't log back in - it gets stuck on the kde splash screen. Trying to restart kdm will also fail. However, if I reboot the computer, I can log in as usual and work for a while .... until everything goes crazy again!

The only other problem I noticed is that there seems to be something wrong with preload. And a /etc/rc.d/preload restart always has somehow "strange" results. Could the two be related?

Last edited by zamolxis (2008-08-04 23:09:56)

#3 2008-08-06 00:17:51

zamolxis

Come on, guys! Nobody has any ideas?

I realized now it's definitely not a file permission issue. All the files and folders have the correct user and group, etc. Instead it must have something to do with my home partition - as if I log out from kde, I un-mount /home, re-mount /home and log back in kde, everything is back to normal. So, for some reason, suddenly my home partition becomes read-only - it won't let me write anything there unless I un-mount/remount it.

My fstab entry is as follows:

/dev/sda6 /home reiserfs defaults 0 1

Any suggestions?

I'm starting to wonder if this really has something to do with kde4 or it is something  else ... I first thought it was kde4 because it all started to happen more or less immediately after installing it - but it now seems it's definitely something which locks my /home partion, it turns it into "read-only" at random ...

Last edited by zamolxis (2008-08-06 01:18:23)

#4 2008-08-10 23:23:18

zamolxis

I figured this out! It was actually a hardware issue - a slightly connected hard drive wire - so kde4 is NOT to blame!

Board footer