You are not logged in.

#26 2008-07-10 23:17:16

Cippa Lippa

Re: [Not Solved] CPUFreq not working anymore

big_gie wrote:

The problem I have is caused by not powerful enough AC adapter. My Dell Latitude D830 needs a 90W adapter, but Dell sold me a 65W one. See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/10106
Unfortunately, the bug was closed quite roughly...

this is also a problem. It seems that I am getting a screw up of the behaviour whenever I plug/unplug the power supply - it seems that there is a screw up with the acpi rules upon battery/AC swicthing

#27 2008-07-11 13:34:51

big_gie

@Cippa Lippa: Verify the power supply. How powerful it is? What model your laptop is? Try to find the manual of the laptop stating how much power it needs.

I'm pissed at Dell. They sold me the 65W slim power adapter which is NOT compatible with my laptop... I only discovered this elsewhere on the web.

I'll probably be buying a Kensington 120W portable adapter. You can look it up too.

#28 2008-07-12 08:32:14

jbromley

big_gie wrote:

The problem I have is caused by not powerful enough AC adapter. My Dell Latitude D830 needs a 90W adapter, but Dell sold me a 65W one.

I have the opposite problem to what you had -- when I'm plugged in frequency scaling works fine. When I'm on battery, the processor is stuck at 800 MHz (I've got a ThinkPad T43 with a Pentium M 2.0GHz.) When on battery, even setting the governor to performance just leaves the processor at 800 MHz. However, cpufreq-info looks to be OK and it reports my full range of possible frequencies. Could this mean my battery is hosed? The battery is in good condition and still gives me 2 hours. Is it just another acpi-cpufreq bug? There seem to be a number of them in kernel 2.6.25.

Regards.

#29 2008-07-20 12:41:14

Cippa Lippa

big_gie wrote:

@Cippa Lippa: Verify the power supply. How powerful it is? What model your laptop is? Try to find the manual of the laptop stating how much power it needs.

I'm pissed at Dell. They sold me the 65W slim power adapter which is NOT compatible with my laptop... I only discovered this elsewhere on the web.

I'll probably be buying a Kensington 120W portable adapter. You can look it up too.

I do observe this problem when I attach a 65W adapter but I also observe the problem described by the previous post... it is just a massive screw up. It seems that beside the problem of the power supply cpufreq misinterprets the events of pluggin-unpluggin of power

#30 2008-08-05 08:13:02

TheGrudge
Website

Sorry to "hijack" this thread but CPUFreq isn't working here anymore, too. I had the governor "performance" installed sometimes when I really needed CPU power, but the governor is gone and only the header file can be found in the kernel sources under /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-ARCH/include/config/cpu/freq/gov.
Why is the module taking out of the kernel package? Is there a way to get it back without compiling the whole kernel by myself?

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#31 2008-08-12 01:29:24

FALK

Works fine on my laptop, but not on my workstation (both running same 2.6.26.2), c2d E6750. I'm sure it worked once. Only fix for now is rmmod acpi_cpufreq

Board footer