You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-12 14:20:44

Robstar

Firefox Change Dir to Libraries [SOLVED]

I am trying to get a 32-bit version of firefox installed on a 64-bit machine. So far I have used the lib32* to get to where I am now, but annoyingly firefox does not want to cooperate. I am hoping this will be the last hurdle.

I have stored the 32-bit firefox in /usr/local/ in dir firefox.
I go into /usr/local/firefox/ and then do './firefox'.
I no longer get the signs of missing libs, but a 'ELFCLASS64'.
I have the 32-bit version installed so this made no sense. I then look at the path it was reporting and it is looking at the 64-bit version.
The 32-bit libraries are stored in /opt/lib32.

What I want to do is some how change it from the normal '/usr/lib/pango' to '/opt/lib32/usr/lib/pango'.
Is there a way of doing this.

Last edited by Robstar (2008-08-12 20:15:43)

32-bit Gentoo -to- Arch64
If you could be so kind, but when you found the solution,
edit your first post and add to the title '[SOLVED]'.

#2 2008-08-12 14:22:25

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Firefox Change Dir to Libraries [SOLVED]

You probably want to look at this package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18077

#3 2008-08-12 17:42:01

Robstar

I have done as you suggested. Had a look, installed it and I get the same problem.
It goes to the 64-bit /usr/lib/pango instead of 32-bit /opt/lib32/usr/lib/pango.

I would like to point out, it is exactly the same as just downloading firefox from mozilla and putting it in /usr/local/
I was planning on using firefox to upadte itself, so I don't need to do it the pacman way.

I believe it possibile if I downloaded the source, I could then compile it to the correct directories. But compiling firefox from source takes a long time to compile (Thanks to my use of Gentoo). If there is a way to direct it to /opt/lib32/usr/lib/pango, please let me know.

I have tried using $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which the system does not even use, to get around, but with no prevail.

#4 2008-08-12 17:52:01

Allan
Pacman
Website

Apologies, this is the packages you want: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=18644

In particular, look at this patch to the firefox launcher script: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/firef … efox.patch

Normally the bin32 prefix is reserved for packages that are i686 packages but made to run on a multilib x86_64 system.  So the naming in the AUR is a bit confusing to say the least...

#5 2008-08-12 20:13:54

Robstar

It is perfectly understandable. I would have made the same mistake.

The patch you linked to was just what I needed.
I downloaded the the 32-bit firefox from mozilla, placed the enviroment variables in the 'firefox' cmd and I am using it to write this.

GTK_PATH=/opt/lib32/usr/lib/gtk-2.0
PANGO_RC_FILE=/opt/lib32/config/pango/pangorc
GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE=/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders.32
GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE=/etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules.32
export GTK_PATH PANGO_RC_FILE GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GTK_IM_MODULE_FILE

Putting this in the 'firefox' cmd is very handy. It has the correct path and will not the effect the 64-bit system. It also means I do not have to download more AUR packages. Nice and easy.

I sincerly thank you.

I must get that dictionary for my spelling.

Last edited by Robstar (2008-08-12 20:15:10)

Board footer