You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-24 21:52:19

TobyR

Setting up OpenOffice

I installed Open Office, and I got it running OK.  However, when I logged on as a different user, at the point I selected Open Office, I was taken through the whole Open Office installation again, with a complete new installation being made to the new user's home directory.  Thinking it might be an ownership and/or path issue, I moved the Open Office components to /opt and even tried some chmod 755, but that was really just for the fun of it, because surely there must be a simpler way to give a user access to OpenOffice. Is there a config file to change, or a set-up script to run?

---------------------------
Arch Linux 0.6
Pentium II 266MHz
160MB SDRAM

#2 2004-08-24 21:55:36

sarah31
Website

Re: Setting up OpenOffice

actually no there isn't you have to "install" it for each user. it part of the stupidness of OOo for linux. with the windows version one can easily set up a single or multi user format with one install. in *nix you cannot.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-08-24 22:02:31

TobyR

Am I right in thinking the "install" is a complete install?  It certainly looked that way, in which case that's a real waste of storage.

(and thanks for the quick reply!)

Arch Linux 0.6
Pentium II 266MHz
160MB SDRAM

#4 2004-08-24 23:31:04

sarah31
Website

when you run the setup you should have two choices a workstation install or a full install (or something like that). one installs about 2mb worth of files in that users /home the other is big. You only need the workstaion one (it basically links to the main one in opt/).

i know it isn't pretty but unless you can hack the code for OOo that is the best you can do.

if you need a word processor that can handle .doc and don't need anything else like the spreadsheet ,etc you could try abiword.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-08-25 19:11:51

TobyR

Thanks for the tip.  I don't think I'll try hacking OOo just yet - I have trouble hacking rc.local!

Arch Linux 0.6
Pentium II 266MHz
160MB SDRAM

#6 2004-08-25 20:08:38

tpowa
Developer

if you don't use oo-installer from staging or openoffice from the extra  repo
tip for "normal" installation:
you have to run setup -net as root to get acces to network install
after that run soffice for each user
you need to choose the install that needs only 2 MB

automatic setup for each user i know only from ximian openoffice
they run a wrapper which installs the necessary files for each user on first startup

Board footer