You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-12 07:17:48

TjPhysicist
Website

HELP ... WITH WMII my LAST HOPE to get it to NOT default [Solved]

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME. I can't get anything but the very basic wmii to work. wmii-ruby crashes. conky doesnt work. I cannot pipe mpc status to status bar. I have been looking all over the web for 4 months straight now. I really like wmii, and i would like to make it display things beyond the basic stuff that it comes with.I tried dwm, but i cannot pipe to dwm either. I have followed completely from scratch the Arch wiki, as well as the Gentoo wiki, as well as ANYTHING ELSE i could find on the web. I have tried asking around on wmii, conky, dwm and any other channels i could think of to no avail. My .wmiirc is the default one that is situated in /etc/wmii-3.5. Currently i have no wmii-ruby installed, cuz it makes my wmii crash.

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-13 16:33:30)

-Tj
Now reborn as Tjh_ (to keep it similar to my username in other places)

#2 2008-08-12 12:00:14

Rasi
Website

Re: HELP ... WITH WMII my LAST HOPE to get it to NOT default [Solved]

while i cant help you, i just want to remind you that capital letters are a rude form of getting attention...
espacially in thread titles - exeption would be if your nick is wrong and should actually be called Psychiatrist and you want to test us smile

Last edited by Rasi (2008-08-12 12:01:25)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2008-08-12 14:57:23

peets
Website

The only thing I've been able to change -though I didn't try very hard- is alt -> windows key and xterm -> urxvt:

$ diff /etc/wmii-3.5/wmiirc ~/.wmii-3.5/wmiirc 
5c5
< MODKEY=Mod1
---
> MODKEY=Mod4
21c21
< WMII_TERM="xterm"
---
> WMII_TERM="urxvt"

There are other window managers.

Last edited by peets (2008-08-12 14:57:39)

#4 2008-08-12 15:40:00

Mimi

modify .wmii-3.5/wmiirc

# Status Bar Info
status() {
    echo -n $(uptime | sed 's/.*://; s/,//g') '|' $(date)
}

mpc and clock:

echo -n $(mpc | head -1) '|' $(date +"%I:%M")

.xinitrc for dwm

while true
do
echo $(mpc | head -1) '|' $(date +"%I:%M")
sleep 2
done | /path/to/dwm

It is what you make it. Even if you don't know what to make it.

#5 2008-08-12 20:39:45

TjPhysicist
Website

well sorry about the caps lock, I wasnt sure if people would respond otherwise. I have tried asking many people they know how to do it and are unwillling to help me. Im not one to get annoyed or angry i understand ppl are not doing this for money. But if someone asks me for help i help them, or tell them im busy and help them later. I live in University of waterloo, some of the most brilliant CS guys are here, i ask all of them, no on responds everone ignores me. I go the channels i am ignored. This is not jst for this. Ever since i started out with linux its been that way. I have never gotten help from anyone in fixing any issues (except maybe 1 or 2). And i usually end up with a lot of varied problems. I had one day an issue the solution was Write the windows lines to the menu file for grub, such a simple thing i could have been told. I understand people usually just say o go look it up in the wiki or the man page. But by now i have read everry wiki page in both arch wiki and gentoo wiki, and have read every man page. And even when i tell people that ethey still just say sorry go look it up. I know they know how to get it working, i see a working wmii on their screen and ask them "i want one exactly like yours tell me how". Aand they say "sorry go look it up".

Anyways, my .wmiirc looks exactly like that (i use the one in /etc/wmii-3.5 tho) and it shows the uptimie and clock for #1. But fails show only the date for the second one. When i tried using mpc (pausing etc) it says "...is busy some other program is accesing port" indicating that wmii is constantly trying to access mpc, but fails to display any result in the status bar. i have tried all other ways.The strange thing is, if i open up terminal and go "echo -n $(mpc | head -1) | wmiir write /rbar/stats " it works, until wmii rewrites over it due to the loop inside wmiirc.

Even with dwm, the same thing everything else displays, except what ever i pipe in thats got anything to do with mpc. Anything that i pipe ini works. I try date, time, echoing "Hello welcome to TjsLaptop" or "uname -a" or output of ps. It all works perfectly the moment i put in any line in there that ends up calling mpc or mpd to echo something, that line fails. Sometimes everything fails, but most often its jst the line that displays mpc. So if i pipe in

echo -n $(date | "%I:%M") '|' $(mpc | head -1)

into dwm in my xinitrc. The date displays and even changes every minute like it should. But after the date i see a | like there should be, but the status line ends at the pipe. Nothing is displayed after that, of course looking at the code i'd say the mpc thing should be after the pipe.

ETA:

Note i have a script called Info that i usually use for this

#!/bin/bash
tit=$(mpc | awk '/-/ {print $0}')
textp=$(mpc | gawk '/play/ {print $3,$4}')

echo $tit ' ' '['$textp']'

I include this in any echo line (be it dwm's one in xinitrc or wmii's in the status function) all it does it make it print '[ ]' rather than "Songname - songartist [elapsed/full]" I open up terminal and copy past the echo line from wmii or dwm it puts the song name and everrythingg into the console, exactly liike it should. Again the issue is piping or echoing to the status bar makes my mpc song info dissapear. The script worked cuz now i see and emptty set of [] in my bar. But nothing in it, even when a song is playing.

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-12 20:55:15)

-Tj

#6 2008-08-13 07:47:14

Doc Angelo

Another tip for getting help from a community:

Dont spread your problem over more than 1 thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 33#p405633

#7 2008-08-13 16:32:45

TjPhysicist
Website

well never mind it was solved thx to mimi. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 13#p406013. I still don't understand why none of the dozens of people i asked outside this forum could have told me smthg about the -n in my pipe, and that gdm screws up the echoing.

-Tj

-Tj

#8 2008-08-13 20:36:23

thayer
Fellow
Website

TjPhysicist wrote:

I still don't understand why none of the dozens of people i asked outside this forum could have told me smthg about the -n in my pipe, and that gdm screws up the echoing.

It could be in the way that you ask for help.  Generally, shouting at people or "telling" them to help you is a sure way to NOT get help.  We have a very helpful community here (as do 99.9% of all Linux distributions) so if you've never gotten help from anyone ever, then I think you should consider how you're asking for it.

Welcome to Arch and I hope your stay is a pleasant one.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#9 2008-08-14 05:11:55

TjPhysicist
Website

thayer wrote:
TjPhysicist wrote:

I still don't understand why none of the dozens of people i asked outside this forum could have told me smthg about the -n in my pipe, and that gdm screws up the echoing.

It could be in the way that you ask for help.  Generally, shouting at people or "telling" them to help you is a sure way to NOT get help.  We have a very helpful community here (as do 99.9% of all Linux distributions) so if you've never gotten help from anyone ever, then I think you should consider how you're asking for it.

Welcome to Arch and I hope your stay is a pleasant one.

I am usually very nice in asking for help. Usually I say "hey thats a nice WM, can u help me do that?" or "hey i need some help with..." the problem is my online presence is usually later in the help asking timeline. Since i am sorrounded with brilliant CS students I ask them first (easier face to face right).  By the time i sstart asaking for help online i am pissed at the people who would refuse to answer simple questions and just say "go read the manpage". It like replying to "Hey how do i clear my screen on a CLI?" with "huh? manpage it". I really should stop asking people at my school for help. I guess then i'll be less short with people online. And its not just me, a lot of others that are outside the "CS" community have noticed that the usual techy guys you'd go to for help are usually very cold. You should hear soome of the stuff my mom's tech support from her company tells her. Its a simple answer usually, my moms noot that good with PC's. She stopped assking them and calls me all the tiime, I asked her one day "you know you pay for that tech support, go bug them" she answered "they never answer me, and are always so rude and presuming".

-Tj

Last edited by TjPhysicist (2008-08-14 05:15:06)

-Tj

Board footer