You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-25 12:00:34

Iolo

iptables Netfilter - the same thing?

I've been tryign to setup a local firewall for laptop when I drag it off to school.  However, I'm a bit confused by the whole iptables  netfilter nomeclature in the 2.6.x series kernels. Is Netfilter the same thing as iptables? if it is why is there a seperate iptables package in the repositories?

#2 2004-08-25 14:53:16

lanrat

Re: iptables Netfilter - the same thing?

#3 2004-08-25 17:30:01

contrasutra

netfilter is a set of hooks inside the Linux kernel that allows kernel modules to register callback functions with the network stack. A registered callback function is then called back for every packet that traverses the respective hook within the network stack.

iptables is a generic table structure for the definition of rulesets. Each rule within an IP table consists out of a number of classifiers (iptables matches) and one connected action (iptables target).

netfilter, iptables and the connection tracking as well as the NAT subsystem together build the whole framework.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#4 2004-08-25 20:32:32

Iolo

Uhm.... thats nice,  but lets put it another way.....

Do I need the iptables userspace package to run a netfilter firewall with firestarter?

If not, is there any benefit to using the iptables pkg with firestarter  netfilter?

Board footer