You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-25 18:28:38

mike182

Tiny Unreadable Fonts

Often, when I start X, I am left with tiny, unreadable fonts.  This is not a window manager related problem, because the problem is evident in several different window managers.  This also troubles me because I cannot always reproduce the problem.  I've looked around for sollutions, but so far I've had no luck.  I am running the 2.6.8.1 kernel with vesa framebuffer.  I wasn't sure if this could somehow be a framebuffer issue or what?  I also read somewhere that if you startx without your monitor on, then x will default to a very tiny font  :?   I have a laptop, so this shouldn't be an issue..right?  Well..let me know what anybody thinks..

Thanks,
mike182

[..save the penguins..]

#2 2004-08-25 18:42:41

colnago

Re: Tiny Unreadable Fonts

I don't know the solution, but I have a kvm and the fonts are different size if I boot focused (larger) than if I boot in the background (smaller).  I assume the latter would be like booting w/o a monitor. 

There is a setting in /etc/X11/xorg.conf where you can specify the monitor screen size, you could try adding that.

You need to know your screen dimensions in mm.  I think 19" is 350mm x 260mm. 

Here is mine for example:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "My Monitor"
    HorizSync   30-95
    VertRefresh 50-160
    DisplaySize 350 260 #width height in mm
EndSection

I just put DisplaySize... in to see if it changes the kvm effect, I don't reboot much and i have some things running so I cannot test at the moment.

Board footer