You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-14 21:02:55

Varreon

Playing modules(.xm, .mod, .s3m)

I'm looking for a program that can ACCURATLY play these module files. Sonata works fine, but I'm looking for a more generic player(doesn't need mpd, and can play a file outside the 'playlist' folder). I've tried xmms and audacius, but they seem to only support 4 channels and produce poor quality sound.

#2 2008-08-14 21:07:43

Procyon

Re: Playing modules(.xm, .mod, .s3m)

mikmod

#3 2008-08-15 14:23:48

Lastebil

I am going to try VERY hard not to hurt anyone for suggting mikmod.  Lets just say that those of us who like ACCURATE playback of our modules do not care for mikmod OR it's maintainers aattitudes.  (tho I was recently told by a friend that when HE was on the team maintaining mikmod, they strove for accuracy and that was HIS job. How he missd klissje pa klissje in his checks I have no idea.)

RIGHT that out of the way: you said accurate.  As you are aware, mod files and the various dirivatives are hard to identify accurately via programs, so you have to do some work yourself.

Amiga mods and various Amiga formats (soundtracker 15 and 32 instrument, protracker, delta music, melody, etc.)  the best and the one wih developers who spend INSANE amounts of energy to gt them right:  uade.  It is in the aur.  It needs libao and not much else, and can be used from command line as well as from amarok and some other players.

IT/XM/S3M (pc type mods):  Open Cubic Player.  Yeah, it has been fixed up rom the dos days and it plays very accurately.  It is also in th aur but is currently broken, and I haven't had the time to learn how to make a build or take over maintenance.  I probaly will though.  That said, it builds from source just fine.

There are some others... the BASS library plays back VERY accurately, and can be used by hobbyists per Ian's license.  But it is not ree nor is it open source.

minifmod and fmod and ufmod all have source, are used quite often in demos (when a mp3 or ogg isn't used) and are accurate... but are maybe more windows oriented.  I have not looked at compiling them tho as I remember Waffle had no issues with minifmod when porting a traction demo to osx and linux.  So those are other choices. You may need to make a frontend of your own though.

Hope this helps and that it gives you the ACCURACY that you need.

(also, my new eeepc has a keyboard that I need to look into... dropping characters all over.  I hope you can read my answer with few troubles,)

#4 2008-08-15 14:28:40

Lastebil

oh and:

xmms uses mikmod by default.  So you know what mikmod sounds like. Sorry you had to hear what it does to music.

#5 2008-08-15 18:08:48

Varreon

Thanks. I'm compiling uade right now.

*Edit*
I recompiled it with the audacious plugin, and now everything is fine.

Last edited by Varreon (2008-08-15 19:05:23)

Board footer