You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-17 22:35:28

yvonney

VirtualBox 1.6.4 Arch Guest do I STILL need to to use Ide_Legacy mode?

PROBLEMS:

[DO I HAVE to use ide_legacy to install arch? and would that mean I get to use old methods like drive naming conventions etc.????!!!]

-WITH SATA drives checked in vbox 1.6.4 VM setup ... AND then using regular install of ARCH -

I CAN install ARCH in Vbox 1.6.4 on my server 2008 trial host laptop  though even if I install the additions first doing

pacman -S xorg gnome gnome-extra hwd gdm

UPON reboot AFTER installing gnome (as a test) It all craps out with a really long list of stuff beginning with bracketed numbers I think.. and then at the end a bunch of numbers across the screen... is that kernel panic...???? hehehe dunno actually. Sorry I can't be more specific...

I just need to know WHAt the setting are for virtualbox... I USED the arch linux setting that vbox has... though I DID check SATA disks and did NOT use Ide_Legacy when installing Arch which seemed wrong If I was using SATA disks...

I guess there's no reason to use sata disks checkbox? I thought PERHAPS this might let me hook up a sata external drive... though I figure that's not really possible or even needed by me. SATA drive emulation would be cool?

hmmmmm..... PATA should be fine though I do believe I get the same prob. without checking that SATA box in box setting for the VM.....   must be that I need  ide_legacy.... which kinda seems old ?

And them wouldn't I have a bunch of  pacages problems with pacman???????!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post.... very last entry say ide_legacy mode is need to install arch as a guest on a windows host with VirtualBox..
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=28863&p=3

Anyone know if this is STILL the case...

there's a SATA checkbox now with the latest vbox version 1.6.4

I'm having a really hard time getting arch installed as a guest using vbox 164 on a win server2008 system...
It's going to be nice and comfy when I do get a VM of Arch to use on the server 2008 partition though!

thanks!!!!!!!

Last edited by yvonney (2008-08-17 23:11:53)

#2 2008-08-17 23:19:32

yvonney

Re: VirtualBox 1.6.4 Arch Guest do I STILL need to to use Ide_Legacy mode?

Here's my answer...

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Guest_OSes

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. … light=arch

Which I kinda though WAS the case..

SO: Can anyone tell me.... WHAT is NOT modern about the legacy option stuff....

I REALLY wanna work with UDEV   etc etc etc etc

LOVE to find out what's what with the ide_legacy option

I also considered QEMU though the windows port seems to be dying or not gonna work with server 2008 as my host for these experiments

Oh well.... I wouldn't be making the time for any of this had not my old PIII 1 gh z laptop died....

I was OS happy with a real install on there....

Then again.... I guess vox is kinda cool too

thanks!

#3 2008-08-18 00:16:06

yvonney

UPDATE:

EVEN doing a ide_legacy install in vbox 164 I STILL get the long list of errors inode etc. AFTER installing gnome.

And then at the end I get

Code: and a ton of numbers

Has anyone got the tips for installing ARCH via FTP IN a Vmachine

I'm using server 2008 as host

thanks!

#4 2008-08-18 00:45:30

kett

Are you installing on a dynamically sized virtual disk?  I've installed Arch with Xorg on VirtualBox in the past.  I don't have it anymore, but I seem to remember having troubles with dynamically sized hard disks.  When I installed it, I know I didn't have to do anything special with regards to ide-legacy or what not. I just did a normal install.

If possible try installing it on a fixed size virtual disk and see if it works better.  I'm not sure if it's the same errors, you are getting, but that set me back on an arch guest install.  If that fixes it, and you would prefer a dynamically sized virtual disk, you could try different filesystems, such reiser or jfs.

#5 2008-08-18 01:02:58

yvonney

fantastically helpfull Kett!

So....yes.. I would not have thought to try that....

I'm currently trying an install WITH the installED version of vbox 1.6.4 

I forgot to mention I've been using the portablized versions of VBox...

could well be the problem...

I';ll write back

Last edited by yvonney (2008-08-18 01:09:50)

#6 2008-08-18 03:20:24

yvonney

with 8 gig fixed disk

Still getting the long list of some kind of errors... then at the bottom after the lines of number code I now get

EIP  mod_zone_page_state     and then more numbers

I tried to find out what was happening...

might have something to do with gnome xorg etc....

I install the addditions first though...

anyhooo.... no big deal

this happens at the end of the xorg gnome install

#7 2008-08-18 04:56:15

kett

This didn't sound like my experience, so I checked and reran an installation from scratch.  I didn't not touch any hard drive settings in VBox.  I used the standard install from the latest arch i686 iso.  I installed it on a dynamic virtual disk even.  I used the jfs filesystem, just because I like it the best.  I installed xorg, gnome.  Did a "pacman -Syu".  Installed the Vbox additions.  And everything works. 

I'm not sure quite what's going wrong.  You might have mentioned this, but have you gotten arch running on a regular system before?  Just want to make sure you aren't changing a file of importance.  Also, did you run "pacman -Syu" after the install.  I've found it never hurts to have the latest kernel and what not with software that updates as relatively quickly as VBox. 

I hope this helps in some way.

#8 2008-08-29 15:05:20

rpog

The cause may be explained here : http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11141 . I'm also having kernel problems with arch guest. Even if it's not your problem, you will probably face them sooner or later. Hope it helps somehow.

#9 2008-09-01 07:39:22

yvonney

nice replies everyone.... THANK YOU!

So, yeah.... it's been a couple of weeks and I'm now thinking about Vbox again...
nasty it was trying to get it installed for me...

though I';ve been having the most AMAZING time with an old resurrected laptop and all kinds of new stuff I've learned

it's SOoooo fantastic to be with ARCH... I mean really!

#10 2008-09-01 07:42:38

yvonney

WOW rpog  !!!!

that bug link really made me go.... whew....

i will be VERY interested to know if this gets remedied

Love to hear about it if you find out before I do...

I'll write back if I find anything out...

quite important relaly to be able to have arch run in VBox I'd say.

best wishes to all!

Board footer