You are not logged in.

#1 2003-06-15 20:19:50

deepfreeze

Upgraded kernel...can't load modules??

Okay today I ran pacman -Syu and upgraded to kernel 2.4.21.  My only problem now is that on boot, I cannot load any modules, and when I go to modprobe them manually I am given this error:

[root@protium root]# modprobe ne2k-pci
modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.20/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
[root@protium root]#

A quick glance at my /lib/modules directory surely doesn't show 2.4.20 (as I would not expect it to) but rightly shows 2.4.21 where there is a modules.dep file.  My question is, what do I do (besides a symbolic link) to get modprobe to correctly work again?[/code]

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#2 2003-06-15 20:48:16

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Upgraded kernel...can't load modules??

Just some questions that can help:
- what is your running kernel (uname -r)?
- did you get errors during bootup (dmesg)?
- did you run lilo after the upgrade?

#3 2003-06-16 02:38:03

deepfreeze

orelien wrote:

- did you run lilo after the upgrade?

No I didn't...but after removing the arch-initrd from my lilo (it was giving a fatal error when trying to update lilo but I don't need it anyway), it fixed everything good.  Didn't know about running lilo afterwards, so thanks for the help orelien!

My hovercraft is full of eels.

#4 2003-06-16 03:05:29

sarah31
Website

fyi when ever you do anything with respect to lilo or if you recompile or install your own custom kernel always run lilo afterwards. grub does not require this but lilo is not as "smart" and needs to know the kernel or lilo changes you have made.

with respects t the initrd entry in lilo that is only necessary unless you have the new arch scsi configured kernel installed. i got the same error you did after the upgrade and all i did was comment out the initrd entry in my lilo.conf and then ran lilo (or you could have removed it all together but i left mine around in case i ever want an experimental or alternat kernel installed then i would just quickly edit the old initrd entry)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-06-16 07:34:26

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

deepfreeze wrote:

but after removing the arch-initrd from my lilo (it was giving a fatal error when trying to update lilo but I don't need it anyway)

In fact, the initrd image is not delivered anymore with the latest kernel pkg. That's why lilo complains.

Board footer