You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-18 11:47:28

low

a predicament

So i moved in to college yesterday, and I brought along a linux box i use as a server/seedbox. Normally at home I can just switch over the cables to use my house monitor/keyboard/mouse. Only problem is now in my dorm room I use a laptop and therefore have just a desktop sitting there being useless. I would ssh into it but I don't know the ip of the machine because it has to register on the school network using a browser AND i set it to only accept incoming connections from the old ip of my laptop at home. SO I was hoping someone would suggest a way to access the machine... maybe a livecd of some sort that automatically sets up a new ssh server that i could log into with trial and error...

#2 2008-08-18 13:02:13

nogoma

Re: a predicament

I'd say the simplest thing would be to connect the two machines directly w/ a cross-over cable, and set the ip of the laptop statically to whatever the ip was at home. But, as to whether your network connection on the desktop will come up properly depends on how it's configured. You might be out of luck, since I'm guessing the desktop won't be accessible until you go through this graphical login process w/ your uni's network. You can't borrow a monitor + keyboard from somebody in your dorm?

-nogoma
---
Code Happy, Code Ruby!
http://www.last.fm/user/nogoma/

#3 2008-08-18 20:38:13

low

Re: a predicament

not now, i've moved in early so there's hardly anyone here. I might just try borrowing a keyboard from a lab here and blindly logging in or something

Board footer