You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-19 09:17:09

justindisgustin

SMplayer works fine sometimes, locks up on play others.

K so I'm still a complete Arch newbie and I just got my box up and running (for the most part, anyway; an ongoing process).  I was logged in as root for a while (without even really noticing because I'm so used to user accounts being created for me during install) and I was playing my videos under Mplayer using the SMPlayer front-end and it was working fine.
So today I realized my newb move and created/logged in under a user account.  Everything works great with one exception:
SMPlayer locks up when I try to view a video.  I was trying to eliminate things that could be wrong and I noticed when I

sudo smplayer

everything still plays.

I'm not sure if maybe it is a problem with my groups or permissions or what could be the problem.  Any suggestions?

I'm sure this is a pretty silly mistake I've made somewhere and I googled it and searched the boards but couldn't find anything.  I appreciate any help.

Last edited by justindisgustin (2008-08-19 20:05:38)

#2 2008-08-19 10:31:46

arch0r

Re: SMplayer works fine sometimes, locks up on play others.

add user to group "video"
gpasswd -a user video

#3 2008-08-19 20:04:45

justindisgustin

Re: SMplayer works fine sometimes, locks up on play others.

I really expected adding me to the group to fix my problems (I probably would have had to do it anyway), but I guess something else is going on because when I start smplayer from the command line just using smplayer it actually seems to work fine as well.  Playing the same video via smplayer started from my xfce menu will crash smplayer.
So I looked at my smplayer entry in the menu configuration files and it looks like the exec command the menu uses is

smplayer %f

Any idea what the %f does?  Either way I removed it and hasn't helped.

At this point I'm not sure what it could be because the more I try and figure it out the less consistant it seems to be.

I have now tried to start from the command line several times concurrently without changing anything and tried playing the same video.  Inbetween I exit smplayer.  It intermittently works and crashes.  Kind of strange.

When I try with just the MPLayer gui it seems to play nothing, saying "no stream found".

Board footer