You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-26 12:54:12

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

installing both stock kernels - avoiding overwrites

if i install both the 2.6 and 2.4 kernels with pacman i am going to have probs aren't i?  one will overwrite the other, right?

In these days were people often have more than one kernel for more than one distro installed in the same /boot some have broken with the standard (if it is a standard) of using vmlinuz as the kernel name.  given pacman is so easy to use to install kernels it makes it VERY easy (or hard) to overwrite your current kernel that is called vmlinuz - i overwrote my vector kernel when i inadvertantly untarred a kernel package - which obviously bypassed the conflict checks.

why can the names of the kernel files not be altered to reflect their version to allow easier install of several kernels?

On to my question - i wish to install and test the new 2.6.8 kernel on my arch system - i am using the latest 2.4 at the mo and am very happy with so i want to be able to dual boot either kernel.  what steps do i need to take specifically to prevent an overwrite of important files?

i know i need to rename the current kernel files (which ones tho?), add a new entry to lilo and alter the old ones.

Do i need to do anything else?

#2 2004-08-26 13:04:20

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: installing both stock kernels - avoiding overwrites

Mr Green

#3 2004-08-26 13:08:10

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

aye - which bits of the kernel in /boot tho?  that is my only issue i think?  i assume the modules and stuff in rc.conf will still work identically with 2.6?  i looked at the wiki - didn;t seem specific to my prob but maybe i can get something out of it

#4 2004-08-26 13:11:52

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Mr Green

#5 2004-08-26 13:35:05

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

"MODERATOR! Please, please delete me!" said this thread, "For i am a load of bollocks."

#6 2004-08-26 16:54:44

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

kernel26 and kernel24 can be installed at the same time with no problems.  kernel26 and kernel26-scsi cannot.  Same with kernel24 and kernel24-scsi.

One reason (among many) for not reflecting kernel versions in the kernel name is that it'd never automatically update, which is sort of bad.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2004-08-26 23:09:03

hypermegachi

you can delete this thread by deleting your first post.
you can install multiple kernels using following the multiple kernels howto in the wiki

#8 2004-08-27 09:38:59

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

you can delete this thread by deleting your first post.

if i can i can't find find the option

you can install multiple kernels using following the multiple kernels howto in the wiki

the wiki mainly refers to custom builds.  the stock kernels can be installed together easily because the 2.6 kernel files that go into /boot are named differently to the 2.4 files, which defeats th whole point of my whole question.  I could have discovered this earlier via trial and error, which i eventually did, but having lost the kernel from another distro last time i was not keen to do it again!

#9 2004-08-27 10:13:16

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

If you are worried about kernel being overwritten then you must first backup files first

vmlinuz26 > vmlinuz26.old whatever....

/usr/src etc.....

O & don't forget that you keep a copy of kernel package in /var/cache/pacman/pkg handy if you need to go back for any reason...

HTH

Don't delete the thread it may help others ....  wink

Mr Green

#10 2004-08-27 14:41:38

hypermegachi

dibblethewrecker wrote:

the wiki mainly refers to custom builds.  the stock kernels can be installed together easily because the 2.6 kernel files that go into /boot are named differently to the 2.4 files, which defeats th whole point of my whole question.  I could have discovered this earlier via trial and error, which i eventually did, but having lost the kernel from another distro last time i was not keen to do it again!

you can load the stock config file (it's hidden under /var/abs somewhere), and compile the kernel with that file.  it'll be practically the same as the stock, maybe even faster cuz you'll be compiling specifically for your machine.

Board footer