You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-22 20:31:59

Hessiess

tialing window managers (dwm) and gtk themes

Is it posable to use GTK themes with tialing window managers?, i.e. to make firefox less ugly. wink
Also would it be posable to combine a tialing window manager with a pannel aplication, i.e. gnome-pannel. to make a more productive desktop expiriance?

I like tialing aplications (Blender), but sofar the tialing window managers I have tryed(wmii and dwm) dont seem terably useable. I am looking for somwthing that works more like Blender, create tiles by hovering the mouse over a border, right click, split. this prosess would be folowed in reverce to get rid of a tile. currantly running aplications can be assighned to a tile from a drop down list in the corner. aplications started from eather a terminal, or a auto hiding pannel at the top of the screen, which also displays system infomation.

Are there any DE's like this, or should i start coding one roll

Last edited by Hessiess (2008-07-22 20:34:02)

#2 2008-07-22 21:03:54

rson451
Website

Re: tialing window managers (dwm) and gtk themes

Unfortunately I don't understand the last half of your post, but for the first half: yes.  Install gtk-chtheme and off you go.

As for the panel, many tilers can be set up to use a 3rd party panel, xmonad has examples of this on their homepage.

As for the rest, I've never used Blender so I have no clue what you are talking about.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#3 2008-07-22 22:01:45

pauldonnelly

rson451 wrote:

As for the rest, I've never used Blender so I have no clue what you are talking about.

In Blender to subdivide the main window you right click on the border between two windows and select "Split Area" from the context menu, then you move the mouse to the place you want to split and click. If you start from a horizontal border you make a vertical split, and if you start from a vertical border you make a horizontal split. To remove a division you select "Join Areas" from the same context menu, and then click the window you want to remove. Windows have a sort of menu/status bar, and it has a popup menu from which you can select any of the "programs" (3d view, text editor, preferences, &c) that are part of Blender. Window borders can be dragged for resizing, of course.

And no, I don't know of any WM that works like this. The closest is probably StumpWM or Ratpoison—you divide and join windows in the same way, but it's keyboard controlled: "^t s" makes a horizontal split, "^t S" is vertical, and there's keystrokes for entering resize mode and removing a division as well. The keystrokes are fine for creating and deleting windows (and even better if you rebind them to use the 0, 1, 2, 3 keys like Emacs), but resizing is a pain.

#4 2008-07-22 22:36:25

heleos

You can even use tiling WM's as the WM for a DE. I read a post about running xmonad as XFCE's WM on Xmonad's website

#5 2008-07-22 22:42:13

Hessiess

gtk-chtheme was perfect, thanks smile

StumpWM looks simmaler, one problem I know the basics of C++ but nothing about LISP. nether have a menu to salect what program to display.
The reson I came up with this idea is that you could have a gui app running, but not displayed anyere in the DE unless you salect it in a window hedder. This would be handy if you are using a terminal to log aplication output, but dont want to have the DE clutterd with terminals.

#6 2008-07-23 19:53:30

Hessiess

anyone know how config.def.h works. I want to change ALT to super(win key) becouse its conflicting with practily everything. but I cannot see anything in the file that controls alt?. (im terrable at understanding outher peoples code)

also how can i run a script instantly after someone logs in at the terminal. i.e. so I dont have to type 'startx'

Last edited by Hessiess (2008-07-23 19:55:59)

#7 2008-07-23 20:17:53

Vintendo
Website

1. In the key definition section, change "#define MODKEY Mod1Mask" to "#define MODKEY Mod4Mask"

2. http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot And then method two

#8 2008-07-23 20:59:06

pauldonnelly

Hessiess wrote:

StumpWM looks simmaler, one problem I know the basics of C++ but nothing about LISP.

Well don't put off learning it! tongue

Hessiess wrote:

nether have a menu to salect what program to display.
The reson I came up with this idea is that you could have a gui app running, but not displayed anyere in the DE unless you salect it in a window hedder. This would be handy if you are using a terminal to log aplication output, but dont want to have the DE clutterd with terminals.

No, they don't have a menu like in Blender. You can, however, display a numbered list of windows and select them by number (or even bind your F-keys to select windows 1-12). This is probably easier than working a popup menu, in the long run. I'm bothered more by the need for hotkeys to resize windows. But other than that, StumpWM works pretty much as you want. It also has the concept of window groups, so you could put those terminals in a group of their own and not even have them listed in your main group. Also, most window managers have virtual desktops, which are very similar.

#9 2008-07-24 09:24:15

patroclo7

From a very general point of view, I think that there is no deep reason because all the tiling window managers are nowadays "minimal", and do not include natively stuff like a panel or a system tray (I miss the system tray much more than the panel, actually).
And there is no contradiction in the idea of a tiling integrated desktop environment. So go and code it smile

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#10 2008-08-20 21:44:54

Hessiess

patroclo7 wrote:

From a very general point of view, I think that there is no deep reason because all the tiling window managers are nowadays "minimal", and do not include natively stuff like a panel or a system tray (I miss the system tray much more than the panel, actually).
And there is no contradiction in the idea of a tiling integrated desktop environment. So go and code it smile

as soon as I can work out how window managers actually work, Il try to make one. There are plenty of tutorials on writing apps for X11 using xlib and the like, but I haven't found anything explaining how window managers actually work and how to code them.

Board footer