You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-19 08:29:35

pingyofdoom

*worst mistake of my life* permissions issues

Sooo.... I was ... Organizing....XD

Everything is messed up, and I have no idea how to even start on what permissions to put where, and this install has been with me for quite a while(I consider it like a child.) could someone please give me a general howto on setting back up permissions step by step.  Also, my /usr directory is owned by root, but its group is users, (please, dont hurt me) and when i try to change its group to anything else it says that root has no ability to change it(its to good for me)

But, i was looking around and trieng to make it easier for me, first thing i did, i mounted a new HD to my /home, (i needed more space, my old /home was not large enough, so, i went and formatted my old windows, gentoo, and suse partitions and popped that in there) then the permissions on /home/$me were wrong so, i fixed those, and logged in (to my precious GUI lol) and then opened up a file browser and oppened as root and changed all permisions in /home/$me to the right stuff(were they are owned by $me, grouped by users. and readable by any, i'm not that secure) then looked around and started messing with everything else, and i dont know what happened past that point, but a 2:00 AM massacre of my baby...

Or, give me a way to like reinstall all the permissions... Or something you know... Just give my baby hope heh

Well, please, dont make me format my baby...

lmao i sound like that girl that came into best buy that "organized" his /WINDOWS folder "i put all the dll files in one folder, and all the exe files in another"

but, please, for fastest results, email me at pingyofdoom@gmail.com

thank you for the help

Last edited by pingyofdoom (2008-08-19 08:35:12)

#2 2008-08-19 09:09:22

Profjim

Re: *worst mistake of my life* permissions issues

Can you do the following?

Install Arch from CD to an external drive. Set your machine to boot from that external drive. (This is so you have a fresh install to compare against. If you've got no external drive, boot from a live CD/USB key.)

While booted as root on the external drive (or CD), mount your broken partition to /mnt. Will you not then be able change permissions on the broken partition as you wish? If not, I can't think of any easy fix.

But if your root now does have the authority to set permissions/users/groups at will, then set up a script that walks through the external drive only, and if the corresponding file exists on the broken partition changes it to have the same users/groups/permissions. You'll likely still have a lot to fix by hand, but that should get you started.

Hope this helps.

#3 2008-08-19 09:14:28

iphitus
Forum Fellow

If you've messed up your whole system permissions, it's not going to be easy to fix them -- you're better off backing up /etc, pacman -Q and reinstalling.

#4 2008-08-19 10:10:19

robmaloy

try this:

pacman -S $(pacman -Qeq)
pacman -S --asdeps $(pacman -Qdq)

(to reinstall all packages, in the same way they have been installed before)

this would at least set most of the permissions right (but not of your ~)
(i did chmod -x /usr/bin/make, reinstalled it and it was executable again, so this SHOULD work for anything else)

but it will take a lot of disk space so you better -Scc afterwards/between

edit: you've got mail wink

Last edited by robmaloy (2008-08-19 10:20:26)

☃ Snowman ☃

#5 2008-08-19 12:36:34

moljac024

iphitus wrote:

If you've messed up your whole system permissions, it's not going to be easy to fix them -- you're better off backing up /etc, pacman -Q and reinstalling.

This would be the best course of action. You could also backup your configs in ~/

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#6 2008-08-20 23:21:02

pingyofdoom

ok, whats an easy way to do that...
i have no cd... i dont even know how i got it installed

#7 2008-08-20 23:24:06

pingyofdoom

man, i might cry while formatting that partition, i was more partial to it than my gentoo

#8 2008-08-20 23:28:17

pingyofdoom

nvm, got it
ok guys, i'm gunna kill him..
ttfn

Board footer