You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-11 20:24:12

Thoht

Trouble setting up X11 - Doesn't detect monitor

Hi!

I'm having trouble configuring X11 with HWD to make it run on my Samsung LE-40M87. When I try to start X11 it claims that no screen could be found, but I've had it run on alright on an Ubuntu installation previously. I'm not sure how to copy the xorg.conf file to display it here, any ideas?

I'd be most grateful for help, I want to use the TV as it's primary monitor you see, and use a Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard to type.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: No monitor seems to be detected properly, read my post below. hmm

Last edited by Thoht (2008-08-20 07:52:27)

Credit to KiwiesRuleXD @ DeviantArt for the avatar.

#2 2008-08-12 01:17:32

lldmer

Re: Trouble setting up X11 - Doesn't detect monitor

I don't think you can copy the xorg.conf from your ubuntu install. I'm not sure, but I believe at least Ubuntu 8.10 uses some fancy next-gen xorg that limits the need for a xorg.conf. So I think the xorg.conf on your ubuntu install might actually be empty.

It might be useful for others if you could post your xorg.conf and some more output from Xorg.0.log (at least the errors), so we might even get some troubleshooting done tongue.

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#3 2008-08-20 02:52:42

Thoht

Hello again!

It took a while, but now I got around to get the Mesa/Vesa xorg.conf-file or what it's called to run! Not pretty... but enough to help me copy and paste the files! Here is the Mesa/Vesa thing, and here is the original xorg.conf. Both were generated by hwd;

sudo hwd -xa

. The only difference as far as I can tell is the driver name at the far bottom.

It does not matter what monitor I connect the PC to though, be it the Samsung 40", my Eizo 22" or Acer 17". None is recognized.

Now, I found two(?) error log files, Xorg.0.log.old and Xorg.0.log. It makes little sense to me, despite having read about X11 on the Wiki. The xorg.conf-files just seem to be a repetition of declarations to me, but I dunnu.

My monitor is an Eizo S2231W, 22" with a preferred resolution of 1680x1050.

What should I do next? Thanks for the help.

#4 2008-08-22 01:05:29

Thoht

I can't seem to get the error log to display that error message, but it reads as follows:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "i810" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

This is my motherboard, and unless I'm mistaken the i810 driver should be appropriate. I added "i810" to the module loading section in my "/etc/rc.conf", but to no avail. How can I detect if that module or driver, not sure what it is really, is installed and functional?

#5 2008-08-22 01:28:58

FALK

Tried Xorg -configure ?

It also has some weird probe-switches, maybe they can help you out.

Last edited by FALK (2008-08-22 01:29:59)

#6 2008-08-22 02:08:19

Thoht

FALK wrote:

Tried Xorg -configure ?

It also has some weird probe-switches, maybe they can help you out.

Hi!

That was bloody awesome! I got a nice and clean xorg.conf file now that only gives me three (II) pointers! Thank you so much! Going to read through this file and see what there is to learn, it's like a tenth as long as the one generated by hwd. big_smile  No idea what probe-switches are, going to Google that later on after I've played around for a bit. Again, thank you! Best computer game I ever played...

Board footer