You are not logged in.

#101 2008-08-18 11:40:11

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: Acer Aspire One

I'd like to share this link: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Acer_Aspire_One_A110L - some interesting tweaks (dpi, cflags)

I'm still not sure if the Gentoo recommended CFLAGS are best. But I'll use them when building a customized kernel. Their .config looks good to me. Think I'll build a stable kernel and maybe even a 2.6.27rc3 tonight. Will upload the kernel for public access. Anything I should add/patch? Have you found something interesting in Linpus sources?

Last edited by AndyRTR (2008-08-18 11:41:31)

#102 2008-08-18 12:35:34

gothicknight

I think powertop and latencytop kernel support would be nice to have as the noop disk elevator set to default.
The CFLAGS aren't IMHO the best but ok,I would only recommend a -Os for disk space sake.

On other note. Does anyone knows why udev events on INIT takes about 9seconds to load?

#103 2008-08-18 13:03:45

vegai
Developer/TU
Website

AndyRTR wrote:

I'd like to share this link: http://gentoo-wiki.com/Acer_Aspire_One_A110L - some interesting tweaks (dpi, cflags)

Oh, the humanity! Building everything from source on an SSD?

Disregarding that, good stuff smile

Last edited by vegai (2008-08-18 13:09:18)

#104 2008-08-18 18:00:51

iarann

Has anyone else had problems with their wireless losing connection on a regular basis?  This is the only real issue I have left.

As for the compiler flags, the ones in the wiki itself (as of a couple days ago, can't verify as the site seems to be down at the moment), did not compile correctly for me.  If you look at the forum thread they have linked, there seems to be more accurate information:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-69 … 7d9a68b00f

#105 2008-08-19 11:08:39

thomasd

Here is a solution for both card readers to work:
I have /home mounted to the left card reader and want to use the right card reader for transferring photos.
If you have only a card in the left on bootup, this is /dev/mmcblk0p1 and can be mounted as this is /etc/fstab
If you have cards in both at boot, the right is /dev/mmcblk0p1 and is then mounted as /home, which is not so good. But then the right one is also /dev/mmcblk2p1 and the left one is /dev/mmcblk1p1, but only when having cards in both at boot. Therefore, for having the left one always as /home, my fstab has these lines:

/dev/mmcblk1p1 /home ...
/dev/mmcblk2p1 /mnt/right ...
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /home

The last line should be only mounted, when only the left card is in.

On the Debian wiki, there is a hint to a script on the Linpus recovery disk, which should enable hotplug for the card readers:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

I am on vacation and have no recovery disk available, but will try that, when back at home.

#106 2008-08-19 12:19:37

gothicknight

AndyRTR, also, support for some sort of splash would be great to have smile

thomasd, I think you can use UUID or LABEL mount options to mount the right device.

#107 2008-08-19 18:46:40

Zap

Someone has tryed to use aspire one software like onemail, messenger, media center on arch ?
Especially messenger seem better than amsn.
Acer doesn't need to open this kind of software since it uses and link some open source library and software ?

#108 2008-08-19 19:27:12

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Hi,

I've been running Linux on the Aspire One pretty successfully, but there's one thing I haven't been able to get working.. When using the VGA-out it never sets the right resolution. The monitor supports 1600x1200 but it keeps switching to 1024x768. Can anybody help out with this? Here's my xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    # Block type: 2:0 3:fd
    # Block type: 2:0 3:fc
    Identifier "GNR TS2000H"
    VendorName "PGE"
    ModelName "GNR TS2000H"
    HorizSync 30-83
    VertRefresh 50-85
    # Max dot clock (video bandwidth) 170 MHz
    # Block type: 2:0 3:0
    # DPMS capabilities: Active off:yes  Suspend:no  Standby:no

Mode     "1600x1200"    # vfreq 60.000Hz, hfreq 75.000kHz
        DotClock    162.000000
        HTimings    1600 1664 1856 2160
        VTimings    1200 1201 1204 1250
        Flags    "+HSync" "+VSync"
    EndMode
    # Block type: 2:0 3:0
EndSection

Section "Device"

### Available Driver options are:-
        ### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
        ### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz"
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "NoAccel"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "SWcursor"               # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ColorKey"               # <i>
        #Option     "CacheLines"             # <i>
        #Option     "Dac6Bit"                # [<bool>]
        #Option     "DRI"                    # [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoDDC"                  # [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"              # [<bool>]
        #Option     "XvMCSurfaces"           # <i>
        #Option     "PageFlip"               # [<bool>]
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "i810"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
    Option        "NoDDC"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    #Monitor    "Monitor0"
    Monitor    "GNR TS2000H"
      SubSection "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Modes         "1024x600" "1600x1200"
        Depth        24
#        Virtual        1024 600
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth        16
#        Virtual     1024 600
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport    0 0
        Depth        8
#        Virtual     1024 600
    EndSubSection
EndSection

The Monitor section was generated by get-edid | parse-edid. T

Thanks in advance,
schuay

#109 2008-08-19 19:36:07

thomasd

gothicknight wrote:

thomasd, I think you can use UUID or LABEL mount options to mount the right device.

Would you be so kind to give some details? The fstab I posted did not work since home is then double mounted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: I managed to get it working with UUID. Just had to figure out to use UUID=... instead of /dev/... Still the cards have to be inserted at boot time to be mounted.

Last edited by thomasd (2008-08-19 19:48:04)

#110 2008-08-20 06:42:03

AndyRTR
Developer

news from Ubuntu guys https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne:

WIRELESS LED:

To get your awesome wireless led to blink for you based on traffic, for me, I put these lines in /etc/rc.local

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1

The led on the front will now do the association blink, as well as blink based on wireless traffic. Use ledpin=-3 for a solid light.

The wifi kill switch uses these keycodes:

/usr/bin/setkeycodes e055 159
/usr/bin/setkeycodes e056 158

Can somebody confirm this and then add this to our wiki page? I'm not having access right now to my One.

for the slack kernel:
I just compiled one. Still have to build the hal module for it. I'm for a very slack config with no additional hardware support. So it should only include the AcerOne hardware and filesystems we recommend in our wiki page. If you want to use a scanner, dvb adapter or something else you will have to custimize and rebuild the kernel. It's not a big deal. But so it would be as slack as possible tongue

Any objections? I'll upload the kernel+PKGBUILD and all stuff soon somewhere public.

#111 2008-08-20 06:51:30

vegai
Developer/TU
Website

AndyRTR wrote:

Can somebody confirm this and then add this to our wiki page? I'm not having access right now to my One.

Yep, the right-hand side led blinks when there's traffic on wifi0 after those. I'll edit the wiki (sysctl settings in sysctl.conf &
setkeycodes in rc.local)

#112 2008-08-20 11:35:51

AndyRTR
Developer

wow - http://macles.blogspot.com/

many hints for improvements and how Linspire does some tricks tongue

#113 2008-08-20 11:41:23

thomasd

Just for your information: I updated the wiki regarding the card readers.

Now the only unsolved problem for me is the integrated microphone.

#114 2008-08-20 12:00:57

antis

Has anyone gotten suspend/resume working without corrupting the filesystem on the SD-card(s?)?

I have /home mounted on the left hand side SD-card as ext2 and the filesystem goes corrupt when wakening up from pm-suspend.

I tried a hook that unmounts the card before going to sleep and then re-mounts it, but that doesn't seem to work. The card still get a corrupt partition table.

Any ideas how to solve it? Are there some processes that should be killed before unmounting maybe? If so, how would I go about finding them?

#115 2008-08-20 15:48:36

iarann

AndyRTR wrote:

for the slack kernel:
I just compiled one. Still have to build the hal module for it. I'm for a very slack config with no additional hardware support. So it should only include the AcerOne hardware and filesystems we recommend in our wiki page. If you want to use a scanner, dvb adapter or something else you will have to custimize and rebuild the kernel. It's not a big deal. But so it would be as slack as possible tongue

Any objections? I'll upload the kernel+PKGBUILD and all stuff soon somewhere public.

That sounds awesome, could you also upload the config file?  What CFLAGS are you using for the compiler?  I've been stripping down a kernel of my own, but it takes so long to compile that I haven't made a lot of progress.

#116 2008-08-20 19:32:40

AndyRTR
Developer

iarann wrote:

That sounds awesome, could you also upload the config file?  What CFLAGS are you using for the compiler?  I've been stripping down a kernel of my own, but it takes so long to compile that I haven't made a lot of progress.

sure i'll do that. i compile the kernel on my x86_64 quad core in an i686 chroot. takes ~5min. hope to get it finished tomorrow.

#117 2008-08-20 23:45:44

gothicknight

I can also confirm the LED working...

I also need to confirm one thing with you. When using noop I'm experiencing starvation when writting/readding big/many  files and the rest of the system just hangs waiting for it's quality time. Is CFQ really an issue for flashdrives?

#118 2008-08-21 19:29:09

Determination

antis wrote:

Has anyone gotten suspend/resume working without corrupting the filesystem on the SD-card(s?)?

I have /home mounted on the left hand side SD-card as ext2 and the filesystem goes corrupt when wakening up from pm-suspend.

I tried a hook that unmounts the card before going to sleep and then re-mounts it, but that doesn't seem to work. The card still get a corrupt partition table.

Any ideas how to solve it? Are there some processes that should be killed before unmounting maybe? If so, how would I go about finding them?

I've experienced the same issues you are describing; I haven't spent more time on it yet as I'm hesitant to begin corrupting my /home again.

#119 2008-08-21 21:04:36

AndyRTR
Developer

A frist version of a custom built kernel(+scripts/config) without initrd is available for testing: http://dev.archlinux.org/~andyrtr/Aspir … nel26-one/

Please don't use ID scheme in grub menu. Guess I missed a module for supporting that. Just use e.g. /dev/sda1 for root device. Please test it and suggest config changes you want.

The pkg includes a fresh madwifi-hal snapshot and will conflict in parts with the madwifi-hal pkg you will probably have installed. It's safe to pacman -Uf the pkg.

#120 2008-08-22 08:24:01

thomasd

Determination wrote:
antis wrote:

I've experienced the same issues you are describing; I haven't spent more time on it yet as I'm hesitant to begin corrupting my /home again.

Other forums report general problems with ext2 on SD cards. I read more than once (Sorry, no source here at the moment), that a card got totally broken after ext2 use. Reformatting using fat32 was not possible. That together with the suspend issues and the fact that I am the only user on my laptop and therefore need no access rights control on /home let me format my /home card as fat32.

Just a thought: Maybe some of the wear control algorithms in the cards are file-system specific? Isn't a FAT32 formatting part of the SDHC standard?

#121 2008-08-22 09:06:07

antis

thomasd wrote:

Other forums report general problems with ext2 on SD cards. I read more than once (Sorry, no source here at the moment), that a card got totally broken after ext2 use. Reformatting using fat32 was not possible. That together with the suspend issues and the fact that I am the only user on my laptop and therefore need no access rights control on /home let me format my /home card as fat32.

Just a thought: Maybe some of the wear control algorithms in the cards are file-system specific? Isn't a FAT32 formatting part of the SDHC standard?

So, you have suspend working fine with fat32? Maybe I'll give that a try then...

#122 2008-08-22 10:40:09

thomasd

antis wrote:

So, you have suspend working fine with fat32? Maybe I'll give that a try then...

No, I did not try suspend until now, but have read somewhere in the Ubuntu forums, that fat32 will not be corrupted.

#123 2008-08-22 18:25:35

gothicknight

thomas, I've also seen that using JFS as already posted a few posts back.

When using ext2 the card gives a huge amount of errors writting to sectors and remounts the FS with readonly, when using JFS (and the same mount options -oerrors=remount-ro for example) the filesystem doesn't get corrupt enough to the filesystem be remounted read-only.

#124 2008-08-22 20:05:33

superstoned

gothicknight wrote:

I can also confirm the LED working...

I also need to confirm one thing with you. When using noop I'm experiencing starvation when writting/readding big/many  files and the rest of the system just hangs waiting for it's quality time. Is CFQ really an issue for flashdrives?

Good question.
After reading http://www.wlug.org.nz/LinuxIoScheduler I think CFQ might actually help a bit with the starvation thing, but the ordering of requests is rather silly. Then again, the merging noop does isn't very smart either. To me it sounds like the kernel could use a special SSD scheduler.

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#125 2008-08-22 21:51:09

panduro

Hi

antis wrote:

I have noticed that in original linpus kernel config = CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME=y is set.
possiible enable CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME wil solve the corruption on filesystem?

Board footer