You are not logged in.

#1 2003-06-16 14:03:41

nehsa

gdm startup

Hiya,

I just installed gdm and have it set to load fluxbox.  The problem is, .xinitrc doesn't work anymore.  Only thing I could find online is .xsession or .Xsession, both don't seem to do anything.

#2 2003-06-16 16:49:10

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: gdm startup

~/.xsession should work for you.  Make sure you own it and that it has +x permissions.

#3 2003-06-16 17:58:11

nehsa

Nope, it did not have the +x so I did that but still doesn't work.  (Although it's a pretty green now like .xinitrc)  I just cut and pasted the stuff out of .xinitrc into .xsession, it's still the same format right?

exec gkrellm -w &
exec gaim &
exec gnome-terminal &

Only thing I changed was the exec fluxbox since I figured that was already taken care of.

#4 2003-06-16 19:20:57

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you choose the option to load fluxbox, that's all it will do.  It won't load anything in .xinitrc or .xsession.

There should be a Session option in gdm.  Add fluxbox to the end of your .xsession (so it should now look exactly like your .xinitrc) and choose the Session option in gdm.

Gdm assumes that your window manager will do all the auto-loading stuff (like gnome and kde do) so if it doesn't there isn't an easy way to add it, apart from hacking up the gdm menu item scripts (if you wanted to they're in like /etc/gdm/Session.d or something).

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer