You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-27 11:56:40

xirus

feature request: add menu items in kde/gnome/...

pacman could check what windows managers are currently installed, and then update their menus with the newly installed packages...

it would also be useful to create some sort of caching system in pacman, when you run it and want to search for a package, update your system or whatever, it's doing something in the background for quite a long time, before continueing... I don't know what it's doing, but can't that be cached?

#2 2004-08-27 14:03:50

sarah31
Website

Re: feature request: add menu items in kde/gnome/...

auto menu updating was looked at but I think the developers have put it on hold for now. it may seem like an easy thing to impliment but i is not.

as for caching. i don't know if it would be any faster as you would have to update your cache just to do a search anyway. how long a search takes depends on the terms you give it. if you give it a package name it comes back usually quickly if you give it a description term (like dvd) it will take more time because it is checking more.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-08-27 14:12:36

Lovechild

That should work if the program follows the freedesktop.org standard for menu handling and the PKGBUILD contains the right .install file. There is no long any need for package management systems to handle that.

So bug the projects that doesn't already follow this standard to add support.

I'm proud to be a a freedomloving infidel piece of treehugging eurotrash.

#4 2004-08-27 14:26:14

xirus

if you give it a package name it comes back usually quickly if you give it a description term (like dvd) it will take more time because it is checking more.

is it? because if you eg pacman -Ss xmms, it not only returns xmms or packages with xmms in their name, but it also returns packages with xmms in the description, the same result dvd would give...

if you'd create a cache everytime you sync the system, you don't lose any time, because now he already performs a similar action (just before syncing), and you'd speed up all the other search/add/... actions with it. On my 2800mhz box, 'pacman -Ss kde' took 10 seconds (once you do a search, the ram seems to cache it for a while), while 'locate kde' immediately starts spitting out results, even though pacman -Ss only has to go through a very small ammount of data, while locate has cached my entire system.

why does searching in pacman take so long anyway? is he opening a kazillion files or something?

#5 2004-08-27 14:33:09

sarah31
Website

i didn't realize that 10 seconds is going to cause you such trouble. i don't know of any package manger that has a quick search.  when i used debian it took forever or you would have to do a web search.

btw locate kde is looking for directories not searching files. try grep that will take longer and i think that pacman is essentially doing a grep and searching each package's meta data for relevant info.

if it is something you would like to see in pacman then i suggest file a featutre request on the bug tracker because then it will definitely get to the person who will impliment it.

almost all of my searches take less than 10 seconds and my system is far inferior to your theoretically.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-08-27 22:14:02

lanrat

BTW there is menu maker package in extra.

Board footer