You are not logged in.

#276 2008-08-22 12:55:43

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

genisis300 wrote:

Sorry if i've misread this topic,
am i right in thinking that the bug tracker for arch is for Arch problems only say a problem with pacman, init scripts  etc,
Do all of the userbase know how to tell the difference between an Arch bug and a software bug like thunar not ejecting Cd's?

The discussion happening on Arch bug tracker can be used to find out whether a problem is upstream or not.

And even when the user found out that the bug was upstream, alerting Arch developers and users by opening a bug on Arch bug tracker is a good thing too.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#277 2008-08-22 13:37:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

And the discussion on the arch bug tracker from multiple users can be valuable for upstream too.

#278 2008-08-22 14:25:56

rooloo

I think that the basic problem(at least, I have it sometimes) is recognizing what are bugs and what are just silly configuration questions.

Not everyone is a computer guru, but it doesn't take a genius to follow iphitus advice and learn how to take part in the discussion of certain issues. You may not have the answer, but you have the problem. With some simple adivice and discussion you should easily have your asnwer. Whether that be a fix for the problem or a verification that the problem is a software 'BUG'

ARCH IS A COMMUNITY DRIVEN DISTRO. THE COMMUNITY MUST PARTICIPATE ON ALL LEVELS.

I'm not saying don't discuss it, I'm asking people to handle those discussions better.

Take the two examples above. In the first, someone tells someone to use something else, despite there being a _clear_ bug.

The second, again, a _clear_ bug again.

Discussion is great, I just want people to actually file a bug when there's a problem, and not accept some temporary band-aid solution and hope the bug is fixed in 6 months.

Last edited by rooloo (2008-08-22 14:26:43)

#279 2008-08-22 14:27:22

rooloo

FYI, the irc channel for arch is always jumping with discussions of all sorts of problems related to arch.

#280 2008-08-22 16:08:08

zimt

arch linux is just awesome! I'm using linux since 1 year now. I tried several distros but i think even if I will try others in the future, I will probably end up with arch again. AUR rocks!

#281 2008-08-24 15:49:22

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

freakcode wrote:
iphitus wrote:

I see this a lot. It pisses me off.

File bugs, don't ignore them! That's how bugs perpetuate and last for ages. Or maybe a bug is lingering/unconfirmed and we need more info, you could provide that info. (Cue Uncle Sam?)

It's irritating to hear people whinging "this software is so buggy, this bug hasnt been fixed for months". That's your fault because you did nothing about it, and you can only blame yourself. Open Source developers do not have the resources to test on all hardware/configurations.

I guess its because big part of the current userbase comes from proprietary software culture, where people don't have the habit of interacting with the developer, don't fill bug reports, and so on. I would say they even don't "feel" they can improve the software. All they do is download a shareware, if it sucks, they download another and another, or if they buy some software that crashes on their faces, they curse the manufacturer, but keep buying the same crapware because it's "widespread". Software is really a very different type of "product" - the only I know that is released not completly finished neither fail-proof.

I'd say that I have this mentality because I'm coming from proprietary software, but rather because I came from *buntu.  Aside from some bugs just having tons and tons of workarounds, many things have been fixed upstream, yet don't get updated in the repos.  You're just left with workarounds then.  One of the reasons I left *buntu was because my installation was so hacked up with workarounds that it was entirely unpredictable, and I was always trying to find workarounds for the problems that came from the original workarounds.

#282 2008-08-24 19:33:48

freakcode
Website

Xiong Chiamiov wrote:
freakcode wrote:
iphitus wrote:

I see this a lot. It pisses me off.

File bugs, don't ignore them! That's how bugs perpetuate and last for ages. Or maybe a bug is lingering/unconfirmed and we need more info, you could provide that info. (Cue Uncle Sam?)

It's irritating to hear people whinging "this software is so buggy, this bug hasnt been fixed for months". That's your fault because you did nothing about it, and you can only blame yourself. Open Source developers do not have the resources to test on all hardware/configurations.

I guess its because big part of the current userbase comes from proprietary software culture, where people don't have the habit of interacting with the developer, don't fill bug reports, and so on. I would say they even don't "feel" they can improve the software. All they do is download a shareware, if it sucks, they download another and another, or if they buy some software that crashes on their faces, they curse the manufacturer, but keep buying the same crapware because it's "widespread". Software is really a very different type of "product" - the only I know that is released not completly finished neither fail-proof.

I'd say that I have this mentality because I'm coming from proprietary software, but rather because I came from *buntu.  Aside from some bugs just having tons and tons of workarounds, many things have been fixed upstream, yet don't get updated in the repos.  You're just left with workarounds then.  One of the reasons I left *buntu was because my installation was so hacked up with workarounds that it was entirely unpredictable, and I was always trying to find workarounds for the problems that came from the original workarounds.

Right. And I guess this comes from the relase model, where you are left with virtually the same versions of everything during 6 months - 2 years, and have to maintain backport patches and workarounds from things that are already fixed upstream. The release model for Linux, at least for desktop users, is IMHO flawed.

#283 2008-08-25 03:24:38

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

freakcode wrote:

Right. And I guess this comes from the relase model, where you are left with virtually the same versions of everything during 6 months - 2 years, and have to maintain backport patches and workarounds from things that are already fixed upstream. The release model for Linux, at least for desktop users, is IMHO flawed.

Agreed. Highly flawed, if you consider such maintenance and required interactivity to be an annoyance. I find it annoying sometimes.
With computers, you sort of have to 'pick your poison'. This is true for hardware, software and OS's I think.

#284 2008-09-01 21:58:52

Gringo

I have been using several distro's for the last few years, but I'll stick with Arch Linux. It's just the best. Thanks a lot!!!

#285 2008-09-01 22:00:03

haxit
Website

Woot woot! ^_^ ARCH FTW!!

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#286 2008-09-02 15:57:19

Devastator

It's the first Linux I ever tried, but I like it - it gives me almost everything I need wink.
It allows me to learn more about configuring the system, and still is really useful. Also I configured it, so it fits like a glove, and I am really in pain, when I have to work on Windows wink.

Great job!

Some applications are WYSIWYG, and some are WYSIWTF.

#287 2008-09-17 19:52:24

fLuXx

I can't, but wonder how come Arch is the first linux you've tried. Usually, the first thing to try is one of those live linux distros or one of those most famous, like Ubuntu or Mandriva. My first one was RedHat, but I didn't use it for a long time. The first one I sticked to was Mandriva, but I ran into so much trouble with it, I kept looking. So I tried many different distros, like ubuntu, suse, fedora and many more, but wasn't quite satisfied.

Until I met Arch, I can honestly say, this is without any doubt, the best distro I've tried so far. And also, the only one I've used that made me completely forget about windows. I haven't boot it in months. I have no intentions in changing it, as I am completely satisfied.

Long live Archlinux!

#288 2008-09-26 00:01:21

Renan Birck
Website

If it weren't for Arch, I'd had given up on Linux a long time ago and bought a Mac.

#289 2008-09-28 19:48:44

manx

Best distro i have tried without a shadow. Been thru them all, Debian, Slack, Gentoo, Suse + many others. I love the rolling release model with the occasional freezed snapshot. You can KIS & stay bleeding-edge, or go conservative and only update from core when you wish. Oh, and Pacman is, without doubt, the finest pkg management tool i have ever used.

My dancin' days are over! big_smile

Last edited by manx (2008-09-28 19:50:17)

#290 2008-09-28 23:49:30

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

The distro war is over ...... Arch Linux won.  big_smile big_smile

nights.png

#291 2008-09-28 23:51:59

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

crouse wrote:

The distro war is over ...... Arch Linux won.  big_smile big_smile

http://archlinux.us/images/nights.png

Brilliant,

#292 2008-10-06 01:49:32

lldmer

omg! I just had to make a post exclaiming my love for Arch.

Arch! I love you!

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#293 2008-10-06 02:04:20

pointone
Wiki Admin

First I found Arch, and I loved it.

Then I found Arch + KDEmod and found my purpose in life.

Good show, devs et al!

M*cr*s*ft: Who needs quality when you have marketing?

#294 2008-10-06 07:51:05

pho8os

Because I am well worth it big_smile

#295 2008-10-06 08:04:06

molom
Website

Archer Power!!!

#296 2008-10-13 19:31:52

SomeGuyDude

Ubuntu user since roughly November of '07. I'd seen Arch as this mountain I could never climb but somehow instinctively knew it was the one for me if I could ever get it. Well, I got it now. Someone I know uses it, told me one simple thing: "Use Wicd for wireless networking", and just like that I'm an Arch user (I can get through anything as long as my wireless works).

Been three days, and not only am I off of Ubuntu entirely, but I switched from GNOME to LXDE. I have zero eye candy, yet somehow don't mind at all.

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

#297 2008-10-13 21:40:04

archlinuxsagi

PCLinuxOS is my first linux lover.. I guess Arch with KdeMod is now my wife... Yeah....

#298 2008-10-14 18:52:00

manavs

Arch really rocks. Have been here and there, but now I'm here to stay.

#299 2008-10-16 13:59:47

Rydgel
Website

I've found my last distro. Arch marry me.

#300 2008-10-16 20:35:50

radius

you guys need to get out more! ;p

Board footer