You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-21 10:14:09

Barghest

Geany and bibtex

Hi,

usually I use kile for writing LaTeX documents.

Now I've seen geany and it looks as it was a very fast and lightweight editor. It offers options for compiling with pdftex but using this option doesn't include my bibtex references.

Is there a way to use bibtex in geany? Maybe like in kile, where it bibtex automatically during pdftex or even like in texmaker where you have to bibtex between pdftex.

Thanks

Barghest

#2 2008-08-21 10:50:56

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Geany and bibtex

Geany doesn't have this feature in itself.  However, you can set what command is used to make the pdf (Build > Set Arguements).  You could call a custom script which would deal with the bibtex file.  If you do go down that route, post the script here as I have been too lazy to do that! big_smile

#3 2008-08-22 13:21:22

Barghest

Too bad that I've never learned how to generate a script or any programming language sad

I think the script should make four cycles:  one pdftex, one bibtex and two pdftex (the last for the cross-references)

According to my poor knowledge about scripting it should include something like this (please don't laugh at me ;b ):

pdflatex "%f"
bibtex "%f"
pdflatex "%f"
pdflatex "%f"
#Set pdf-viewer here: 
acroread "%f"

Last edited by Barghest (2008-08-22 13:23:31)

#4 2008-08-22 14:47:56

fwojciec

Barghest wrote:

Too bad that I've never learned how to generate a script or any programming language sad

I think the script should make four cycles:  one pdftex, one bibtex and two pdftex (the last for the cross-references)

According to my poor knowledge about scripting it should include something like this (please don't laugh at me ;b ):

pdflatex "%f"
bibtex "%f"
pdflatex "%f"
pdflatex "%f"
#Set pdf-viewer here: 
acroread "%f"

Why not just use something like latexmk instead of all these pdflatex/bibtex commands.  Latexmk will do all this work for you, as necessary:  latexmk -pdf file.tex.  It's available in AUR.

Last edited by fwojciec (2008-08-22 14:56:21)

#5 2008-08-22 14:51:35

Allan
Pacman
Website

fwojciec wrote:

Why not just use something like latexmk instead of all these pdflates/bibtex commands.  Latexmk will do all this work for you, as necessary:  latexmk -pdf file.tex.  It's available in AUR.

Nice.  I am going to test this out now!

#6 2008-08-22 15:52:15

Barghest

Thanks,

it works like a charm. I just replaced the pdflatex --file-line-error-style "%f" in the parameters for generating a pdf by latexmk -pdf "%f" (or is there a better solution?)

Unlike in kile I get the message /home/thomas/.texmf-var/ls-R: Permission denied but everything works, though.

#7 2008-08-22 15:58:01

fwojciec

Barghest wrote:

Unlike in kile I get the message /home/thomas/.texmf-var/ls-R: Permission denied but everything works, though.

Check the permissions on the ~/.texmf-var/ folder ?

#8 2008-08-22 16:07:44

Barghest

I already did, but they are changed every time I do texhash that I have to run as root - otherwise it doesn't work. Is there a way to prevent this problem.

What I didn't get is the startacroread script (http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/software/latexmk-jcc/extra-scripts/INSTRUCTIONS.txt and http://www.phys.psu.edu/~collins/softwa … rtacrobat)

The documentation says

Put the following lines in a startup file for latexmk

$pdf_previewer = "start startacrobat";
              $pdf_update_method = "2";

The problem is that I don't find the .pl file to edit.

\edit: I've seen that it starts acroread automatically even if I don't have the script.

Last edited by Barghest (2008-08-22 16:20:53)

Board footer