You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-22 02:24:10

ralvez
Website

Need Help with E17

Tired of the frustrations with KDE 4.1 I decided to give E17 a try... and I'm glad I did. I think it is one of the most beautiful DEs in Linux.
I have figured a good deal of the things I wanted but 3 things continue to hunt me.
1. Transparency. How do I enable it in yakuake and my console ?
2. Whenever I open a console I get this message:

xauth:  creating new authority file /home/ralvez/.serverauth.6660

_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running        

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

It also happens when I run Yakuake; then after a few seconds it gives me the shell prompt. What's wrong with it?

3. I want to initialize some applications automatically. In KDE we have ~/.kde/Autostart where we can place symlinks to apps. we want to run when KDE starts; what's the equivalent of that in E?

I hope some E users may be able to give me some advice to solve these problems. The ER17 manual (on the web was not very helpful to find these answers sad)

#2 2008-08-22 07:49:11

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: Need Help with E17

1. That is a trick one. Short answer: there is no clean way of doing this. Long answer: You can work around it in a similar way described here: http://arun.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/e1 … ansparency . Just create a simple script that you call on e17 startup (see 3). I assume you can use any wallpaper setter but I've never tried...

2. I haven't have coffee yet, still to early to think wink

3. configuration dialog -> applications -> startup applications

#3 2008-08-22 11:57:56

ralvez
Website

pressh,

Thank you for the response!! That's fantastic.
Er... Where do I send the coffee ?

Thanks again.

R.

#4 2008-08-22 13:34:21

ralvez
Website

peressh,

What if I want to run a script, like xbindkyes? The startup application does not have my conky or xbinkeys, any idea as to how should I add them?

Thanks.

R.

#5 2008-08-22 15:51:20

pressh
Developer/TU

ralvez wrote:

peressh,

What if I want to run a script, like xbindkyes? The startup application does not have my conky or xbinkeys, any idea as to how should I add them?

Thanks.

R.

I think you will have to create a .desktop file for it. Check /usr/share/applications for some examples.
Once done that, you can follow this guide (remember to substitute .desktop for .eap): http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_ … nment_DR17

#6 2008-08-22 16:14:02

ralvez
Website

Thanks!! I'll give it a try when I get home.

R.

#7 2008-08-22 16:25:00

bgc1954

Just my $.02 worth.  I have been using feh for a while in openbox but am now also using it in e17.  (#pacman -Sy feh)

In e17 menu pick configuration >configuration panel >applications >new application

name >  Feh Wallpaper
exectuable > feh -g 640x480 -d -S filename /home/username/wallpaper/

Then hit the advanced button and add to catagories line > Applications;System;
Hit Apply button and then Close.

You will now see a Feh wallpaper selection in your menu under Applications > System Tools.  If you make a wallpapers folder and put .jpg's in it you can pick them out using this application which shows you your wallpaper pics in a 640x480 window.  Scroll through them with your mouse or arrow keys and when you see the one you want right click on it and click on File >Background > Set Scaled.  This will put a .fehbg file in your home directory.

To get transparency in rxvt-unicode or conky I made a script and called it transparent.sh and put it in a scripts folder in my home directory:

#! /bin/sh
eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg`

Note: make sure to use the ` under the ~ key not the ' under the " key.

chmod +x transparent.sh

Then I made a Transparent app just like the Feh Wallpaper instructions and added Transparent to the e17 startup as well as conky.  I didn't like the dropshadow around my transparent conky so I went to the e17 menu configuration > modules and selected and unloaded the dropshadow module.

When you change your wallpaper in e17 menu using configuration > wallpaper you need to run Feh wallpaper again to set your psuedo transparency for your teminal and conky to your new wallpaper or your transparency backgrounds won't match your new wallpaper.

Maybe it seems like alot of steps but it's really quite simple and works great for me. big_smile

I believe you can also just add the eval `cat $HOME/.fehbg` to your .xinitrc instead of making a transparent script app.
Edit: I tried adding the line to .xinitrc and it works splendidly and is a simpler solution to running a script at startup. smile

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-08-23 13:22:34)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#8 2008-08-22 22:38:13

ralvez
Website

bgc1954,

That's great! I'll explore that too. Thanks for the tips.
I'm really liking e17!!

R.

#9 2008-08-23 02:53:39

bgc1954

If you like e17 you'll really like e17-stuff.org and exchange.enlightenment.org.  Lots of great themes and stuff for you to try out.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#10 2008-08-23 03:04:44

ralvez
Website

bgc1954,

Yes, I've been there already.
I'm surprised E17 is not more popular. It's like a mac on steroids lol
The graphics are outstanding! Not to mention the multitude of gadgets that can be added to enhance the desktop experience.

Needles to say, with the help of the people posting on this thread I got my laptop all set up and looking very slick.
I noticed today that when I did a pacman -Syu it complained that :

:: Replace exml-cvs with community/exml-svn? [Y/n]

error: cannot resolve "ecore-svn", a dependency of "exml-svn"
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: exml-svn: requires ecore-svn

I noticed however that when I set up e17 yesterday I used (as indicated in the wiki)

pacman -S exhibit-cvs e_modules-cvs

but today it's looking for updates under "svn" not "cvs"

Is there something wrong here or should I also upload the modules from "cvs"?

R.

+==================================+
edit:
+==================================+

Just for kicks I run yesterday's install command:

pacman -S exhibit-cvs e_modules-cvs

but ... this is what I got in response:

exhibit-cvs package not found, searching for group...
error: 'exhibit-cvs': not found in sync db

So now I wonder if I trully should upgrade or what ...

Last edited by ralvez (2008-08-23 04:16:21)

#11 2008-08-23 05:25:51

skottish
Forum Fellow

I already filed a bug report against the exml-svn thing. http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11291

Now for the other problem...

The other problem one asks? I have to explicitly call startx even though entanced is in the deamons array.

--EDIT--

Well, it looks as if entranced vanished. Maybe someone else can confirm this before I file another bug report? Or at the very least take a look and see why it won't start. It's far past my bedtime. I'm grumpy.

Last edited by skottish (2008-08-23 05:58:09)

#12 2008-08-23 05:58:41

ralvez
Website

skottish,

Thanks for the clarification about the svn thing.
As per "the other problem" ... it may have been a fluke of some kind in your system. I set up two computers (my laptop and one workstation in my office) with e17 and non of them gave me a problem like you describe.

R.

#13 2008-08-23 13:34:39

bgc1954

ralvez wrote:

I'm surprised E17 is not more popular. It's like a mac on steroids
The graphics are outstanding! Not to mention the multitude of gadgets that can be added to enhance the desktop experience.

IMHO, alot of people think e17 is too unstable to run as a desktop environment.  True, it's under constant development, and kudos to pressh who keeps it constantly up to date, but I believe you'll find that other than a few minor hiccups now and again, it is quite stable enough to use day to day.

And heck, if it didn't act up on you once in a while, you'd think you were running winblows vista. tongue (N.B. no sarcasm intended...NOT!)

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-08-23 13:37:12)

Board footer