#26 2008-08-23 15:41:13

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: [unstable] OpenOffice.org devel snapshots available

ST.x wrote:
skottish wrote:
venky80 wrote:

how can i do spell check with oo 3.0? it doesnt have valid dictionaries

The English dictionary is supposed to be a file or a folder by the name of dict-en.oxt that's in /opt/<openoffice_beta_dir>/share/extension/install/ where <openoffice_beta_dir> is openoffice-beta on Arch. It's not there and it's not on the OpenOffice extensions page. There are some dictionaries there though. Some of you will be able to get spell check going easily. Tools-->Language-->More dictionaries on-line

--EDIT--

dict-en.oxt is a zip file. I pulled it from the official binary and copied it to /opt/openoffice-beta/share/extension/install/ (which may have been overkill). I still needed to go to the extension manager to install it.

It doesn't work. It thinks that every word is misspelled. I think I saw the solution to that problem. More instructions later...

--EDIT--

It turns out that the English version of OOb3 had every English dictionary that wasn't for the US. I pulled all of the files for the US stuff out of /opt/openoffice/share/dict/ooo (which is still from the openoffice-spell-en package) and copied them into the folder:

/home/skottish/.openoffice.org3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/bp7fcp_/dict-en.oxt

which was created by the extension manager. Now spell check works.

The was F**KING intuitive!!!!

--EDIT--

The file structure in the home directory changed with Beta 3. Just look for ~/.openoffice.org and follow the tree.

Can you please link us to dict-en.oxt ? thanks

I have a copy still. I'll have to find a host that isn't going to spam the crap out of any of my e-mail accounts. Unless, someone here as a place to host a 6.5MB file, in which case I can just e-mail it.

#27 2008-08-23 16:15:35

ST.x
Website

You can just link us to the exact file where you extracted this from.

#28 2008-08-23 16:44:23

skottish
Forum Fellow

ST.x wrote:

You can just link us to the exact file where you extracted this from.

I was just trying to help those with metered bandwidth or slow connections. I pulled it from the entire source tree. Here's the page. I believe that it was pulled from: ftp://openoffice.cs.utah.edu/pub/openof … re.tar.bz2

Once the source tree is extracted, the zip file that you're looking for is called 'dict-en.oxt' (it may be wrapped in a zip file also).

Once you have the file:

Launch OpenOffice --> Tools--> Extension Manager --> Add --> then choose dict-en.oxt from wherever you saved it.

Close OpenOffice

Make sure that the dictionary files are installed for you language. In my case it's openoffice-spell-en. Those files will be in /opt/openoffice/share/dict/ooo and need to be copied into the folder:

/home/<YOUR_USER>/.openoffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/DJRNgz_/dict-en.oxt

The bold folder name has changed on me before, but it will be in the same place in the tree.

Good luck with this. I know for a fact that it works (barring any mistakes I made here).

Board footer