You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-05 13:55:57

SilvioTO
Website

Impossible to add printer

Hi, few days ago I posted this topic: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52246
No one responded, and I decided to format and reinstall Arch... The result is the same, on a fresh installation is impossible to add printer HP Color Laserjet 2605dn. The cups error is: Unable to copy PPD file!

I hope someone help me, thanks.

#2 2008-08-05 15:06:01

DonVla

Re: Impossible to add printer

SilvioTO wrote:

Hi, few days ago I posted this topic: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52246
No one responded, and I decided to format and reinstall Arch... The result is the same, on a fresh installation is impossible to add printer HP Color Laserjet 2605dn. The cups error is: Unable to copy PPD file!

I hope someone help me, thanks.

perhaps there is no ppd file matching your printer.
search for it on the hp website, help section or faq.
there is no problem with your arch installation.

#3 2008-08-05 19:54:05

zenlord
Website

Did you read this: http://www.openprinting.org/show_printe … erJet_2605 ?

You should install the hplip-driver or use the custom PPD provided at the above link.

OK, so I read you did install hplip. Your log states that you are unauthorized. Did you use the admin mode of the cups webbased manager to add the printer? It would make sense if you were trying to add the printer as a normal user, because then the wizard would not be able to copy the PPD to /usr/share/cups/model/ (IIRC)

Zl.

PS: also read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cup … components

#4 2008-08-05 22:20:13

SilvioTO
Website

I successfull add printer with another driver, but a lot of options don't available, and the margin are different... I don't understand why the other drivers work (installed as a model HP Color LaserJet v2013.114 Postscript).
My doubt is the ppd file of the hp color laserjet 2605 is corrupt. Is impossible (imho) that I successfull add another driver without need to load it manually. The courious thing is that in my previous installation of arch, with the previous version, I added my printer in fly, without problems. Perhaps in the hplip last version here's a corrupt files?

Ha... Tryed to load manually the ppd file downloaded from open printing.org; printer install, but is impossible to set options; error is: "Error: Missing value string" and a blank page in cups.

Thanks a lot for your help.

#5 2008-08-06 10:03:02

zenlord
Website

Then I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions. The PPD clearly works for other people...

The wiki suggests you to do some things when cups gives you headaches. Those suggestions will not solve the problem, but they might point you in the right direction. You might also want to check the bugtracker for cups: http://www.cups.org/str.php

Zl.

#6 2008-08-06 10:19:05

SilvioTO
Website

Thanks a lot zenlord, I'll try.

#7 2008-08-10 12:25:56

loosec

I've found that when I atlast got my printer working through cups (with a ppd-file for a related model) the best way to install it on another computer is to copy the whole /etc/cups directory. Or only printers.conf. My point is, dont throw this stuff away when you get it to work. Also if your printer's ppd file won't work you could probably go with one from the same family.

#8 2008-08-22 23:48:57

jemiele1

I also have the HP Color LaserJet 2605dn. Couldn't get it to print from KDE 4.1 until I did some serious digging and was able to resolve the problem.

CUPS is having a problem with the section of the PPD file related to the "collate" feature of the printer. I submitted this as a bug to the CUPS website and received a reply from Michael Sweet that this is a problem with the PPD file, not CUPS. Why wasn't this an issue with earlier versions of CUPS? I don't know. It's a problem with CUPS 1.3.8.

The long term solution is for a new PPD file to be created for the printer. Not my job, but it's now a bug for the CUPS project to deal with. In the short term, you can get your printer working with the HP Color LaserJet 2605 driver by commenting out the offending section of the PPD file.

NOTE: You should be logged in as superuser to perform these tasks.

First, you need to locate the PPD file on your system. Depending on how you obtained it, the file may be in a variety of places. If you are using the file from HPLIP, it is located in /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD/HP.  Change to that directory and you will find a file named HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd.gz.

Next, you need to uncompress the file so you may edit it. A simple "gunzip *2605*" will do the trick.

Now, using your favorite text editor, locate the following section in the PPD file:

*OpenUI *HPCollateSupported/Collation in Printer: PickOne
*DefaultHPCollateSupported: False128
*HPCollateSupported True128/Yes<3A> Total RAM<3E>=128MB: ""
*HPCollateSupported False128/No<3A> Total RAM<3C>128MB: ""
*?HPCollateSupported: "
        save
                mark
                <</Policies <</Collate 0>> >> setpagedevice
                { <</Collate true >> setpagedevice
                } stopped
                { (False128) }
                { (True128) } ifelse = flush
                cleartomark
        restore
"
*End
*CloseUI *HPCollateSupported

This section needs to be commented out by adding "*%" to the start of each line. When you are done, that section should look like this:

*%*OpenUI *HPCollateSupported/Collation in Printer: PickOne
*%*DefaultHPCollateSupported: False128
*%*HPCollateSupported True128/Yes<3A> Total RAM<3E>=128MB: ""
*%*HPCollateSupported False128/No<3A> Total RAM<3C>128MB: ""
*%*?HPCollateSupported: "
*%      save
*%              mark
*%              <</Policies <</Collate 0>> >> setpagedevice
*%              { <</Collate true >> setpagedevice
*%              } stopped
*%              { (False128) }
*%              { (True128) } ifelse = flush
*%              cleartomark
*%      restore
*%"
*%*End
*%*CloseUI *HPCollateSupported

Save the file and then recompress it with "gzip HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd".

You may now configure your printer using this driver. It's working just fine on my system.

BTW, if someone has a printer that uses a PPD with a similar section it it (such as the HP Color LaserJet 3000), they will have the same problem as those of us with the 2605. The solution is the same. Although the Collate section may look a little different, the solution (commenting out the entire section) is the same.

Good luck!

#9 2008-08-23 09:37:59

SilvioTO
Website

SilvioTO wrote:

My doubt is the ppd file of the hp color laserjet 2605 is corrupt

My doubt was right... At last someone solved this problem!!
Thanks very very much jemiele1.

Silvio.

Last edited by SilvioTO (2008-08-23 09:38:19)

#10 2008-08-23 22:22:52

jemiele1

You're welcome! smile

Board footer