You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-27 21:09:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Generate large swap file (Use qtparted to generate partition

Desire to generate a 30GB swap file in Linux using the full capacity of a hard drive as swap.

Can this be done with the arch0.5 install CD?

I assume I must skip the auto feature to do so.  I do not know if the CD program will allow skipping the program install steps and just install lilo.

Perhaps someone has done a similar thing?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-08-27 21:48:30

yak8998

Re: Generate large swap file (Use qtparted to generate partition

whenever you setup your drives/partitions, do so manually. I think thats all that you'd have to do.

Why on earth would you want a 30gb swap drive though? I cannot think of a single thing that would come in use for.

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#3 2004-08-27 22:24:33

i3839

I guess it's useful if you want to do extreme swap testing, but other than that it's completely useless. (perhaps if you have a very big box, say, a tiny supercomputer)

#4 2004-08-27 23:14:53

lilsirecho
Veteran

Gents:

The swap I require is needed to permit a feature of Knoppix DVD boot process.

I have 2.5GB of ram and it proves to be insufficient to boot the DVD in ram with the cheat code...toram.  The DVD is 2.1GB in size.

Knoppix has an option to utilize swap to add to the ram capability.

Changing the partitioning on the present drives is a bearcat, so an older drive of 30GB is available for swap use only.

If what knoppix says about " swap added ram" is true, I would have no problem in running...toram... ever.

I assume the DVD will not load in my present setup because my swap is too small to handle the transfer of the DVD contents to ram..the exact method of ..toram..procedure in booting is not delineated...therefore I am guessing.

The 30GB drive would be pristine SWAP ONLY and would take care of any boot problem due to "lackaram".

Dunno the process, dunno the priorities for HDD sequence and am hopeful that the arch 0.5 CD program will allow just swap to be partitioned( type82).

It may be necessary to establish at least three partitions (all type82) in order for the program process in arch to proceed...(hopefully directly to lilo).

Hindsight/foresight says I can't load a swap only HDD without a kernel to establish lilo....but I don't need to boot the swap HDD.

Can this be done?

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2004-08-28 04:50:39

i3839

Sure, just make swap as usual, nothing new or different here as far as I can tell. I just wonder why you don't do a hd install to that 30 gig hd, then it's also rw instead of read only. But mind that copying a whole DVD to hd at each boot isn't the smartest thing to do. See the mkswap manpage for more info (it looks like you have to make several swap partitions because the max swap size is just a few gigs).

#6 2004-08-28 07:07:33

lilsirecho
Veteran

i3839;

Thanks for the comments.

The desired entry is not to hdd but to ram such that all operations take place in ram...no hdd used...no CD orDVD used (except tp start the ram install). 

While in ram, all video is improved when uncompressed video is entered (.vob for instance) and the result is higher quality and better resolution.

The basic question is in reference to arch install CD and whether it can be utilized to generate a HDD with just swap (one or more partitions) . 

My experience with the arch CD indicates it doesn't like the install to skip any steps.  Perhaps I can try a partition install and then abort the rest.  I think it will allow three separate swap (type 82) partitions:  at the least one of 2GB.  Perhaps it is programmed however, to require a root and a boot as well as a swap.

I suggest you read the previous post which describes the install to ram...called 'toram' in knoppix.  This doesn't use the hdd, just the dvd reader.  It can however utilize a hdd file entered in a dvd install....tohd.. and add the cheat code ...toram..

The end result is a ram only OS which can utilize USB hotplug devices for entry and storage, turning them off when not in use.

The present system here has 2.5GB of ram but it is not able to accept the DVD of 2GB when attempting ..toram.   The same ...toram..cheat code is available for the CD version which operates well in ram (only 680MB).  The use of swap to augment ram is recommended.

Dvd versions have close to 5GB of programs in compressed form in the 2.1GB DVD media.

I hope this post helps describe the need for the swap a little better. big_smile

Board footer