You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-25 00:45:10

ljshap

kdemod3 - autofs - kde automounting

I've been using autofs which has been great for the following two reasons:

1)  No "#*%$)*#" pop=up's whenever I insert a new usb device, CD or DVD.  I know its a small thing but they annoy the heck out of me.
      2)  Giving devices a unique name makes it much easier to write rsync backup scripts.

I switched to kdemod3 to avoid swithing to KDE 4.X without having to specifically "blacklist" it in pacman.conf. 
  After using kdemod3 for a few weeks, I started getting those device inserted pop-ups like you get in windows, debian based distro's and probably other distro's.  Unlike windows, it seems to respect the Do Nothing option for this device and all devices of this type. 

I know this is a KDE thing and not Arch, but autofs is one the examples I use to describe simple.  It has a higher learning curve and requires a little more work, but you get to do it the way YOU want without having to undo all the spaghetti the other distro's put in to do it the way THEY want.

Is this something new in KDE(mod) or did I do somthing accidentally to activate it?  I don't recall seeing any posts about it.

Live Free or Die !

Board footer