You are not logged in.

#176 2008-08-17 12:23:59

arcreactor

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

hello fellow linux users.

my real name is Andrew, i live in Australia and spend to much time on my computer. i started using archlinux around 4-5 months ago, choosing archlinux because excessive blubber is one of the factors that makes windows so slow (as well as ubuntu, but at least ubuntu is stable). after a very steep learning curve (which i think was worth it) i figured out how to use pacman, configure x, use pkgbuild, aur and the bash shell. now I'm learning how to code in c and c++ and only use windows for games.

i hope other computer users can enjoy the freedom of gnu/linux like i do now smile

This Sig Is Uber!

#177 2008-08-18 12:18:24

chochem
Website

Hello,

I just wanted to give a shoutout to the people who have made the arch wiki. I've managed an almost toal ubuntu-to-arch conversion with only one stupid question (and counting...) here on the forum to my credit and the credit is all the wiki's. So thanks, guys.

- Mads

#178 2008-08-18 21:30:58

Iketani
Website

As I registered my account here, I feel like saying few words here. wink

Hello Arch Tux'ers big_smile

My name is (the real one) is Egidijus, and I have a Tux on my computer screen for quite some time, tried quite lot of distributions, but in my opinion Arch has the best view of how Linux should look like - Simple, powerful and yet geek- friendly cool I do believe that we use Linux because we want power, we want control over everything and we sure want freedom and Arch delivers not only that but much more to me.

Well see you in forum, I hope that my little knowledge that i have obtained over the years will be helpful to others wink

If music be the food of love, then play on!
Mick Fleetwood

#179 2008-08-19 20:11:44

LeoSolaris

Hello World!

I just dropped by to say hi and to let y'all know I am the same LeoSolaris from the Ubuntu forums (cue the groans) I generally do try to do my own research before posting a thread, just so y'all know.

I'm a transplant from Ohio in South Carolina, so if you happen to be in the Columbia area and want to say hey, give me a shout! I am always willing to meet fellow Linux users. (And new friends since I've lived in SC for about 2 months.)

Ciao!
Leo

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#180 2008-08-21 21:55:08

TBomBM3879

I'm Tristan from New Hampshire.

My first experience was with Fedora 8 Core over a year ago, I was extremely curious about Linux since my brother liked it so much so I decided to see what it was all about.

Unfortunately I was used to having everything just work for me in Windows so I was expecting the same from Linux, but unfourtunately, I have the Atheros AR5007EG wireless card that is only supported by a patch. Not even thinking to try and fix it myself, I gave up.

Getting really into linux was a pure accident. I had my windows partition up and I decided to try Ubuntu (this was about a month later.) I still didn't really know what I was doing so somehow I accidentally erased my hard drive leaving me with only Ubuntu, this motivated me to at least try to get everything working.

I did and eventually moved on to openSUSE with which I stayed for about 3 months, then moving to Gentoo because of my wanting to be able to customize as much as possible and to get the maximum speed. Eventually my Gentoo system broke and I moved onto Arch because of all the positive feedback I've heard from it.

So far it's my favorite distro, and I'm not switching.

#181 2008-08-22 15:03:50

winfield
Website

I'm lainuo from China

I'm using ubuntu for one year.I didn't learn much about Linux. just some basic commands, basic compile from source and desktop(gnome,kde) setting knowledge.

Now I wanna look into Linux more deeply. I need a distro from the basic and I heard of Arch.

Follow the WIKI these two days,I get most I need worked in Arch.(development envirnmnet, KDE4.1 etc)

I love Arch. Because of it's LOGO and K.I.S.S

#182 2008-08-23 05:21:10

ltpl4y3r

Hello from Kansas!

Been a linux user for years off and on. I started on Slack, hit Redhat, took a break (win 2000, XP), hit SuSE (on a server), moved on from windows(dropped it) to Ubuntu for a release cycle, switched to Debian for about a year or so, and I just switched to Arch, and so far I'm loving it!

I've seen alot of great support from the forums and the wiki. I am looking forward to getting really down and dirty with Arch! Especially the ABS, and I recently discoverd yaourt.

Thanks

#183 2008-08-23 07:52:23

PhotonX

Hello community,

I'm Michael from Germany. I have some years of Ubuntu behind me and now I'm doing some distro hopping to find something more challenging. smile Arch seems to be the perfect distro for my level - not as easy as Ubuntu, but not as complicated as Gentoo is said to be. So now I'm trying it and beside of small things it's running quite well, especially pacman/yaourt are incredible fast in comparison to apt and also have much more packages (as I feel it at least). So maybe I'll even ban Ubuntu from my HDD and repalce it with Arch but now I still have a dualboot...

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#184 2008-08-24 15:39:16

davef

Hey from the UK!

Ive just recently started using Arch after having coming from Ubuntu.  Ive actually linux for the first time 4 weeks ago and have since been trying out so many distros its made my head spin but I settled on Ubuntu about 2 weeks ago.   Im dual booting Ubuntu and Arch now but hope to make the full move to Arch once I get a few problems ironed out.

Cheers

#185 2008-08-24 16:14:25

Exitium

Hey!

Yeah, I'm 17-year old student from Finland. I installed Arch (x64) a couple of days ago (well, exactly my friend installed it for me, but whatever...) and so far I'm pleased with this distro. I used to have Ubuntu for 2 years, but a few months ago I started to think that I should try other distros also. I tested distros like openSUSE, Fedora etc. but they weren't "nice". I don't know, they just were distros like Ubuntu, easy to use and so on, but I prefer Ubuntu. But then my friend (who has Gentoo) suggested Arch. I installed it (or my friend installed it, blah) and even installation progress was very hard compared to Ubuntu, I liked it. I'm not a professional Linux user, but I like this distro. Even if Arch is quite hard. But, I like challenges. big_smile

Well, that's it. Cheers.

#186 2008-08-24 17:48:50

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

HI EVERYBODY!
Dr%20Riviera.gif
WELCOME.

#187 2008-08-24 23:19:06

ziopaperinik

That's me, coming from Italy and from several years on Gentoo, now I'm switching back to a packaged distro, 'cause I was getting sick of compiling and recompiling everything for hours wink

Hope Arch will be my distro for a long long time, just like Gentoo had!

Asus EeePC 701 4GB - Arch Linux
Pentium IV, old hardware - Gentoo Linux (switching to Arch soon)
HP Pavilion dv5000 - Ubuntu Linux ( *sigh* )
My WebCorner

#188 2008-08-25 15:17:58

ZenMystic

Hi

I just replaced my XP with Arch a few days ago and I'm up and running with LXDE, so now come the hard part, choosing what to install. Anyone care to offer guidence:
                                   http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 15#p411515

Last edited by ZenMystic (2008-08-25 15:31:01)

#189 2008-08-27 14:39:59

krims0n

Hi smile

I decided to give Arch a try after many many years of Gentoo. Sofar I like it, especially the speedy bootup and package manager and excellent wiki.

Thanks to all who make this distribution possible !

#190 2008-08-28 05:25:03

feminaexlux
Website

Hi there! I'm Lux, or feminaexlux. I've been using Linux (dual boot Linux Flavor X with Windows XP/Vista. It's the best of both worlds in one setup! Except Vista sucks like a hoover, but it's still pretty important.) for like, 6 years, and I'm 20.

I'm currently using Debian Lenny/Testing. I've had experience with Xandros before it was part of some netbook, I used Ubuntu a lot until it started sucking in Hardy! Sorry, guys, but Hardy upgrade killed my computer so many times I got so tired of it. I tried Gentoo, too harsh. Tried Fedora, uh, wasn't to my liking. FreeBSD did not like my laptop, which is my only computer, but I liked the way it handled things.

So, Archlinux. I'm trying it out as a virtual machine on my Debian Lenny, and I have to say I'm impressed.

Here's to a future non-virtual machine install! Just need to work out a few kinks big_smile

Yeah, don't know if it matters, but I'm a girl. Yay girls on linux!

Last edited by feminaexlux (2008-08-28 05:26:01)

Love, love is a verb. Love is a doing word.

#191 2008-08-29 08:56:55

FryShadow

hi all,

I an Arch user from Malaysia.. nice to meet ya all here! we support Arch smile

#192 2008-08-29 17:21:49

flowevd

hi
new arch user
thanks for such a good wiki!

#193 2008-08-29 20:19:55

nick

Oh I didn't even notice this thread.

Hi guys I'm pretty new here but I have some experience with Linux.  I've had some problems installing Arch but hopefully I'll get it working soon enough.

#194 2008-09-03 18:22:13

Lickwid

Hi there, I'm new to Arch, having used Slackware up until this point. I've decided to try out Arch because it seems like a lightweight, efficient distro that I'd like to tinker with.

#195 2008-09-04 14:18:20

Rydgel
Website

Hello there smile

I'm under GNU/Linux since 2 years now. My first distro was Debian, but the packages were too old for me and I switch to Ubuntu. Then I try openSuse, Mandriva ...

And now I'm here. I'm hoping Arch will be my last distro. I love already pacman.

Oh and my name is Jérôme and I leave in France.

#196 2008-09-04 14:35:22

lilith2k3

Okay, after my first problem got solved by merely upgrading my xorg-server to the one in Testing, i have time to say hello to the community. I'm using Arch for a while on my Laptop now - KDEMod made my day- and so i'm not completely new to Arch. Since last week i switched completely to Archlinux, which means my eeky-sleeky Gentoo-Desktop is retired (still living as a backup on my external harddrive smile) now and i switched to Arch64.

I didn't have had any severe complications -except one thingy which got yesterday fixed. So now I'm all happy with my new distro. What me  conviced since the beginning some time ago on my laptop, is, how smart this distro is: an easy to use installer. Pacman is a great package-manager. It was really simple to set up my box. So far i got no probs with choosing 64bit (at first i was in a doubt). I'm missing nothing  - and while switching to KDE 4.1 (which works most of the time ok for me) i kicked acroread from my harddrive. Okular is doing its job now (and seems doing well in that).

What i like most, is having primarily a binary-based distribution with a great building system. So i can customize my Packages and build it -if necessary- my way.

Good Job guys :]

(enough praised for now ^^)

#197 2008-09-14 20:28:39

slumslayer

Hi all,

After years of Gentoo and some distro hoping, I moved to Arch in early 2007 and ... it put an end to my distro hoping tongue

And now I finally took the time to register on the forums lol

Thanks for this awesome distibution !

#198 2008-09-14 20:44:10

Skofo

Hello Everyone!!1

#199 2008-09-14 23:31:26

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Hello everyone, here's another noob jumping aboard big_smile
I have started using linux seriously with Ubuntu but I'm starting to get fed up with it .... I've tried almost other widely know distro until I discovered Arch .... well its a bit of hard work but its great, you learn a lot and its bloat free hurray big_smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#200 2008-09-15 00:14:12

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Welcome!

Board footer